Doing something wrong instancing node refs?

photo

I imported a model and gave it a script. It works and appears during the run. I cloned that node, and it works too. Now I took one of the clones and made it a node ref. As expected, it does not appear during play. However, when I instance the ref, it does not appear during play, with my script or without. I think I'm missing a concept?   

unigine_instance_issue.png

Edited by Ludovico
typo

I dragged the .node resource into the scene. I also tried right click->clone on the reference. Same result: the new instanced node (from a reference) appears in the editor but does not appear during play. It has to be something basic I glossed over? 

What worked is I put the .node reference always under another node, not directly into the world. In other words, I wrapped each node reference.

No big deal I suppose, but I thought I was essentially following the instancing demo by cloning top-level reference nodes. Are we sure all these vans would appear?

UPDATE: If I turn the the node that wraps the reference into a reference, then that top-level wrapper reference can be instantiated like the demo above. It's a bit perplexing, but works.

Edited by Ludovico
vid link