"Impostors Creator" uses incorrect size

photo

Hello,

I'm trying to create impostors for some of our IG entities.

As "Impostors Creator" does not work with NodeReference (why?) I resolved to select the top node in the expanded reference. Most of the time of course, this node is itself a NodeDummy, and again the "Impostors Creator" does not work with it. So I have to select a ObjectMeshStatic below but in most cases, this mesh bounding box is much smaller than the the total bounding box of the NodeReference. And the tool seems to consider only the BoundingBox of the selected node when computing the impostors, not the bounding box of the hierarchy.

As an example, I made a small "airplane" in 2.13, with the top ObjectMeshStatic being the pilot's canopy (orange):

image.thumb.png.ec3a5bffd4fe6fd56454273b136b2a84.png

As you can see, the size considered is all wrong, as I suspect it considered only the canopy for the size, and not the bounding box of the whole hierarchy.

• Is there a way to make the tool consider the whole hierarchy?
  • Suggestion for improvement: when a NodeReference or a NodeDummy is selected, please consider generating a Impostor for the content of the selection.
  • SideNote: the Lerp feature is great with vegetation, but I had only very poor results with hard geometries (IG entities for example). Am i missing something, or is it simply not adapted for this?

Thanks!

Hello Stephane,

14 hours ago, Amerio.Stephane said:

Suggestion for improvement: when a NodeReference or a NodeDummy is selected, please consider generating a Impostor for the content of the selection.

You are right, this is a problem that ‘Impostors Creator’ doesn't create impostors for NodeDummy’s and for NodeReference’s hierarchy. It will be resolved in future releases.

Is there a way to make the tool consider the whole hierarchy?

I can advice you such solutions:
1- When importing entities via the Import in Asset Browser, select the checkbox “Merge Static Meshes”

2- Export NodeDummy with necessary meshes to UNIGINE Mesh file (.mesh)

In both cases, you will get a single .mesh with several surfaces, for which the ‘Impostors Creator’ will successfully create impostors.

SideNote: the Lerp feature is great with vegetation, but I had only very poor results with hard geometries (IG entities for example). Am i missing something, or is it simply not adapted for this?

It's designed to work for vegetation. For other objects, you can use higher Phi and Theta values to increase the number of frames.