Light in node reference question

photo

Recently I ve noticed, that due to light depth texture baking, light cant be in node reference anymore, or in case of cloning this node shadows will go crazy. Is this intended behaviour? We have lots of nodes with light inside, typical case was torch. It was set once (mesh+light+particles) and then copied many times. It is not that big problem to put all lights out, but better to know if this is OK until we start. Thanks.

Edited by demostenes
  • demostenes changed the title to Light in node reference question

Hi Jirka,

Unfortunately, this is expected behavior with static shadows and NodeReference. The shadow textures can't be set individually when the lights are inside the NodeReferences. If you want to clone the lights it's better to do it without placing them inside the NodeReferences.

There is a little chance that we can improve this behavior in the future, the functionality is quite fundamental and more likely will completely broke everything around :)

Thanks!

• Like 1

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

1 hour ago, silent said:

Hi Jirka,

Unfortunately, this is expected behavior with static shadows and NodeReference. The shadow textures can't be set individually when the lights are inside the NodeReferences. If you want to clone the lights it's better to do it without placing them inside the NodeReferences.

There is a little chance that we can improve this behavior in the future, the functionality is quite fundamental and more likely will completely broke everything around :)

Thanks!

Thanks, I thought so, I just wanted to be sure :)

• 1 month later...

Hello, do I understand well, that this limitation also applies to light mapping? So In case I want to light map object with more instances, I cant use node reference?

4 hours ago, silent said:

Yeah, the same thing. All the baked stuff is looks good, but brakes the batching.

Thanks! I think this info is worthy to be put in documentation.