Editor crash create texture2d array


photo

Recommended Posts

Recenty I have this crash just after editor start. From the log I am unable to find out, which textures are causing that (Direct3D11 error: device removed ERROR: D3D11Texture::create(): can't create ATI2 2048x2048 2D texture ERROR: Direct3D11 error: device hung ERROR: Direct3D11 error: device removed ERROR: D3D11RenderContext::create_context(): CreateSwapChain():........), but by experimenting I ve found, that it is  probably caused by .exr textures from quixel mixer (it crashed just after adding displacement map). Only workaround is to delete . runtime and it will work (even thouse "problematic" textures) until next start of unigine, than I have to delete runtime again. It is the first time, I am using this workflow, before I was always converting textures to .dds before importing to Unigine. Replication would be very problematic, you need to import texture, shut down unigine (if there is no crash) and try to start several times, until this happens.
 

image.png

ceeling_bok_Displacement.7z

Edited by demostenes
Link to post

Hi Jirka,

Thanks for the test texture. Will try to reproduce this crash first in order to get the idea how to fix it.

Is that on regular desktop with dedicated GPU with a lot of VRAM?

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

Link to post
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, silent said:

Hi Jirka,

Thanks for the test texture. Will try to reproduce this crash first in order to get the idea how to fix it.

Is that on regular desktop with dedicated GPU with a lot of VRAM?

Sure, 16 Core Ryzen, 64GB RAM, 11GB VRAM. Thanks.

Edited by demostenes
  • Like 1
Link to post

Hi demostenes,

Sorry, but we could not reproduce this issue with the attached texture. Judging by mentioned errors it could be caused by several reasons, so please provide some additional info:
1. Please check if it's reproducible on latest GPU Driver
2. Specify image importing options(Image Type, Image Format e.t.c.)
3. Check if issue reproducible with CPU Image Compression(Settings/Editor → Uncheck "Use GPU Compression")
4. It might be caused by some set of several textures. Please tell us if it is possible to find this textures in you repo? Or is this issue reproducible in new project?

Thanks

Link to post
Posted (edited)
On 10/6/2020 at 10:08 AM, vvvaseckiy said:

Hi demostenes,

Sorry, but we could not reproduce this issue with the attached texture. Judging by mentioned errors it could be caused by several reasons, so please provide some additional info:
1. Please check if it's reproducible on latest GPU Driver
2. Specify image importing options(Image Type, Image Format e.t.c.)
3. Check if issue reproducible with CPU Image Compression(Settings/Editor → Uncheck "Use GPU Compression")
4. It might be caused by some set of several textures. Please tell us if it is possible to find this textures in you repo? Or is this issue reproducible in new project?

Thanks

Hi,

1) With latest driver no change

2) Default import options ( + normal flagged as normal, sometimes inverted G), albedo, metalness, normal are png, displacement is .exr

3) Todays test with latest GPU drivers:

  1. Run Unigine -> imidiate crash after start with default world
  2. Delete .runtime, run Unigine -> OK
  3. Shut down Unigine, run Unigine -> imidiate crash after start with default world
  4. Delete .runtime, run Unigine -> OK, set compression to CPU
  5. Shut down Unigine, run Unigine -> imidiate crash after start with default world
  6. Delete .runtime, run Unigine -> OK
  7. Shut down Unigine, run Unigine -> imidiate crash after start with default world

      So it does not seem, that GPU compression has anything to do with it.

4) I didnt commit these new files to the main branch, because it would break project for anybody else. I will commit it to branch and let you know.

Thanks.

Edited by demostenes
Link to post
On 10/6/2020 at 10:08 AM, vvvaseckiy said:

....

I ve sent you to PM details regarding repository and where to download this branch.

Link to post

Thank you for additional info. We successfully reproduced this crash, it seem that it occurs cause of the .exr texture used as displacement map in some materials. 

I've forwarded this issue to our dev team, we'll try to fix it in upcoming 2.13 stable release

  • Like 3
Link to post

A small update from our dev team. The issue actually is caused by non-normalized data in .exr and enabled "Mipmaps SRGB Correction" import option, which is not quite valid for this image format. 

We will improve this behavior in future release. Meanwhile you can disable "Mipmaps SRGB Correction" option and reimport .exr texture.

Link to post
On 10/16/2020 at 5:46 AM, vvvaseckiy said:

A small update from our dev team. The issue actually is caused by non-normalized data in .exr and enabled "Mipmaps SRGB Correction" import option, which is not quite valid for this image format. 

We will improve this behavior in future release. Meanwhile you can disable "Mipmaps SRGB Correction" option and reimport .exr texture.

Great, thanks!

Link to post