Tank tracks and suspension

photo

Hello guys, I starting to develop track and suspension behavior for tank and need your advice before I go any direction.

There are two ways to implement this I am considering right now: ( I don't have tank demo from unigine so can't say what used there)

1) War thunder : its basically a mesh of whole track with skin modifier and bones which needed in order to simulate track position regarding ground surface, nothing is animated in 3d software

its all procedural inside the engine.

spacer.png

spacer.png

2) BoredEngineers approach from unreal:

https://forums.unrealengine.com/community/work-in-progress/54936-assets-open-source-tanks-tracks-and-n-wheeled-vehicles

Basically its individual static mesh track chains that rotate around spline with controlling points, everything done from the script, very interesting approach but hard to implement:

spacer.png

spacer.png

What do you guys think which one is better to go with or if anybody has his own idea taking in count it will be made in unigine ?

Hi @Panzer_comandante,

We once did a caterpillar very similar to the BoredEngineers. The approach used three types of points:

• Static ones
  • Connected to the wheels
  • And let's call them "free points"

Our solution caused the caterpilalar to shake anytime when tank was moving, not only after collisions.

For optimization purposes it is better to use MeshCluster for tracks.

Thanks!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

@morbid was playing with hinges to connect single tracks elements, but seems to me difficult to stabilize - of course first time playing with physics in Unigine.

Will make sense to go for a full physics of the various components, or the result will be too unstable or too heavy to compute?

Edited by davide445

Hi @davide445

Physics for each track will not work. Tracks movements are usually animated with bones or with logics. In the second case their position is dynamically calculated depending on the roadwheel position that has a physical body. In other words, physical tank model is built almost like a multi wheel car plus extra logic for tracks.

Thanks.

• Like 2

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads: