[SOLVED] player orientation

photo

Hi, I am trying to have a PlayerDummy and move him with directional vectors. You point out in the documentation, that I need to recalculate something, otherwise the movement won't work correctly. I've spent some time on that, but I am unable to do it 'correctly' (so that adding vec3.forward rotated by player rotation will be forward and not up). My code works right now as I would expect, but I have to use the wrong vectors for it:

if (Input.IsKeyPressed(KEY.W))
{
	player.Position = player.Position + player.GetRotation() * vec3.DOWN * Game.IFps * speed; // should be vec3.FORWARD
}
if (Input.IsKeyPressed(KEY.S))
{
	player.Position = player.Position + player.GetRotation() * vec3.UP * Game.IFps * speed; // should be vec3.UP
}
if (Input.IsKeyPressed(KEY.A))
{
	player.Position = player.Position + player.GetRotation() * vec3.LEFT * Game.IFps * speed;
}
if (Input.IsKeyPressed(KEY.D))
{
	player.Position = player.Position + player.GetRotation() * vec3.RIGHT * Game.IFps * speed;
}
if (Input.IsKeyPressed(KEY.Q))
{
	player.Rotate(0, 0, Game.IFps * rotspeed);
}
if (Input.IsKeyPressed(KEY.E))
{
	player.Rotate(0, 0, -Game.IFps * rotspeed);
}
if (Input.IsMouseButtonPressed(MOUSE_BUTTON.RIGHT))
{
	player.Rotate(Game.IFps * Input.MouseDelta.y * rotspeed, 0, 0);
	player.Rotate(0, Game.IFps * Input.MouseDelta.x * rotspeed, 0);
}

I've tried several things like this, but it didn't change anything:

player.SetDirection(vec3.FORWARD, vec3.UP); // nothing
player.ViewDirection = vec3.FORWARD; // no joy

If I drag the player to the scene, it's automatically looking down, so it works correctly in that way(forward would be forward in top down shooter for example).

So:

Is that expected behavior and is my use of other vectors correct, or should I do something differently?

Is your default camera/player implementation available somewhere?

Thank you

Hello,

For nodes and cameras the directional vectors are different. For the camera the forward direction is the -Z axis and the upward is the +Y axis. You can read more at the link: https://developer.unigine.com/en/docs/2.11/code/fundamentals/matrices/
To move the camera, I would recommend using the Translate method. For example:

vec2 axes = vec2.ZERO;

if (Input.IsKeyPressed(Input.KEY.W))
	axes.y += 1.0f;

if (Input.IsKeyPressed(Input.KEY.S))
	axes.y -= 1.0f;

if (Input.IsKeyPressed(Input.KEY.D))
	axes.x += 1.0f;

if (Input.IsKeyPressed(Input.KEY.A))
	axes.x -= 1.0f;

player.Translate(new vec3(axes.x, 0.0f, -axes.y) * Game.IFps * speed);

You can find camera implementations in the folder with the installed SDK source\csharp\samples\Api\Nodes\CustomPlayers. You can also find camera examples in C# Component Samples.

• Like 1

Thank you, I've somehow managed to miss that graph on matrices page and I've just found out that I was not looking deep enough into the examples :-D I thought that they use some "default controller" when none is provided, but it was just a few folders down *sigh*.

• silent changed the title to [SOLVED] player orientation