Texture LOD for landscape

photo

It is quite problematic to make terrain detail texture look well from close distance as well from far. I can achieve near photorealistic quality for close distance, but from far it suck a lot and vice versa. So if possible it would be good to reintroduce texture LOD with some fade as it was in terrain global, so I can have one set (setting) for close distance and second for far or I can use only global terrain albedo for far distance and have textures for close. Also ability to LOD off some not visible textures should spare some little performace. Thanks!

Edited by demostenes
  • Like 1

Hi Jirka,

Yeah, we are getting different requests regarding this recently. Right now we are still looking for a proper solution (hiding details is just a very common approach) for proper details handling on far distances.

It's more likely would not happen in 2.12, but rather in the future releases.

Thanks for the suggestion!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

• 1 month later...

In the upcoming 2.12 update LandscapeTerrain will have an option to configure details by pixel density. Unfrotuantely, due to the LandscapeTerrain implementation it's impossible to do that by distance (as it was previous).

Hope that it would at least give more flexibility than in 2.11.x.

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

23 hours ago, silent said:

In the upcoming 2.12 update LandscapeTerrain will have an option to configure details by pixel density. Unfrotuantely, due to the LandscapeTerrain implementation it's impossible to do that by distance (as it was previous).

Hope that it would at least give more flexibility than in 2.11.x.

So I would be able to lod off some details in some distance, but I will be not able to start displaying after some distance?