How could i destruct a wall precisly

Hi, I'm making an fps game, and I would like to know how i can make walls have holes when a bullet touch them. I was thinking of a fracture body, but it destruct the whole shape.

Thanks

Greetings Noga,

Will the holes have an effect on game play? That is should the character be able to look through the holes, or with enough holes the wall should collapse?
If not, and it is purely for looks then I would recommend looking at decals, or some other texturing to see if it achieves the look you want.

Could also use shaders to make it appear as if there is a hole in the wall...

On 4/22/2020 at 4:50 PM, mark.pizzolatto said:

Greetings Noga,

Will the holes have an effect on game play? That is should the character be able to look through the holes, or with enough holes the wall should collapse?
If not, and it is purely for looks then I would recommend looking at decals, or some other texturing to see if it achieves the look you want.

Could also use shaders to make it appear as if there is a hole in the wall...

yeah like rainbow six siege wall mechanics. It should be a major gameplay feature to be able to make holes in the walls, shoot through them and even destroy them with grendades

Hmm... In that case - you may want to look into Dynamic Meshes

Have you seen this video Ubisoft, Rainbow Seige - GDC - kind of given some points of what they used to make those walls/environments.

Short answer - you will need to create the system yourself, as it is a specialized feature for certain games. But on the whole, it appears to be a specialized version of the fracture body, however instead of collapsing in a pile of pieces, you want to break a single piece off and toss it aside.

Note: Fracture body also uses Dynamic Meshes...