Problem importing FBX Skinned Mesh (Mixamo)

photo

Hello, I have been trying to solve this myself for a couple of hours but could not find a proper solution....

There's also a quite old video tutorial but it did not solve the problem, documentation is quite detailed as long as the mesh / surface relationship but also could not answer the problem.

When you import a skinned mesh with several material, Unigine creates several mesh(surface files) and a general import node of type NodeDummy

in order to set animations for all the surfaces you will need to have an ObjectMeshSkinned type of node (from documentation)

So I created an ObjectMeshSkinned node add the reference to the above Nodedummy node but it did not work, and it is not possible to assign surfaces as those are read only and empty.

I thought it might be an FBX import issue, so I tried a very standard Mixamo Character which works well with the other game engines, but also could not do it....

I have enclosed a basic character donwloaded as is from Mixamo, as well as a few animations .

Could you please help on how to do it as I find it a little confusing...

Maybe you could produce an updated video on how to import skinned meshes for characters and also maybe other assets (vehicles), this would be great !

thanks in advance

Fred

Mixamo Test.rar

Edited by fred.naar
  • Like 1

Hi Fred,

To preview the animation, just drop the .anim file from the Walking.fbx or Running.fbx to the multiple selected ObjectMeshSkinned nodes and hit Play button:
image.png

How to blend between different animations from C# Code you can find in C# Component Samples (SDK Browser -> Samples -> Demos -> C# Component Samples). Download them and do Copy as Project to be able to load Editor and see how things work.

Some information in importing geometry tutorial is outdated, thanks for pointing that out. New version is already planned, but with no ETA right now.

Thanks!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

• 3 months later...
On 4/17/2020 at 8:11 AM, silent said:

Hi Fred,

To preview the animation, just drop the .anim file from the Walking.fbx or Running.fbx to the multiple selected ObjectMeshSkinned nodes and hit Play button:
image.png

How to blend between different animations from C# Code you can find in C# Component Samples (SDK Browser -> Samples -> Demos -> C# Component Samples). Download them and do Copy as Project to be able to load Editor and see how things work.

Some information in importing geometry tutorial is outdated, thanks for pointing that out. New version is already planned, but with no ETA right now.

Thanks!

hey i got a question of this as well, as you can see the mixamo model has 7 meshes and instead it would be better or easier to just have it be 1 ObjectMeshSkinned, i have tried to export them to a .mesh 

image.png.7f076ce91d9e4d2c7d885f08a6434d98.png

and then make it a ObjectMeshSkinned

image.thumb.png.a854c62a2451ff00c7101ea979b0f772.png

but the animation stops working for the mesh.

any sugestions?

image.png

Edited by Kireita
  • Like 1

ignore my last message i have been able to fix it and perfect the way of importing mixamo animations.

i just open the .fbx file in blender, Shift+Click both meshes
image.thumb.png.f2c0ccf6203775061b1dec672f0224df.png

and pressed Ctrl+J to join them
image.thumb.png.2c5291b7f7e78521bc2689d5f7746ce9.png

then exported the .fbx again, all the bones also remain intact, just needed to reimport the model and voila.

Tthe .fbx file is a single ObjectMeshedSkinned and its original animations work with it.

image.thumb.png.3b0a05c197b89ab0fc33d8d05af163b9.png

• Like 2