[SOLVED] How is landscape terrain heightmap supposed to be edited?

photo

I didnt notice any tool for small rising or lowering of terrain. Also shift+hold (smooth) doesnt seem to do anything. Alt+LMB works. Unigine 2.10.
Thanks!

4 hours ago, demostenes said:

I didnt notice any tool for small rising or lowering of terrain. Also shift+hold (smooth) doesnt seem to do anything. Alt+LMB works. Unigine 2.10.
Thanks!

Hello! There is aslo CTRL (hold) hotkey which is turning your current height value to opposite, like if you set (1) it will be switchted to (-1) while holding the button

15 hours ago, bmyagkov said:

Hello! There is aslo CTRL (hold) hotkey which is turning your current height value to opposite, like if you set (1) it will be switchted to (-1) while holding the button

Yes, this works. But I am not able to do small incremental raising, or lowering. I have on mind something like this (14:50):

Also smooth doesnt seem to work, bug?

Edited by demostenes

Could you please record a video of non-working LandscapeTerrain edit? It seems that we can't reproduce any of these issues and brushes are working as expected.

Right now brush will not modify terrain if you will not move mouse cursor, so to modify the terrain you need to always move a mouse :)

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

Sure. At the begining of video I am trying to smooth terrain by holding shift. In second part I chose smooth menu and tried with and without shift. Nothing happens. I am also missing tool for small raise/lower. So not rising/lowering to given height (which is useful, but only for some cases), but adding constantly some value...like on the video above, old version of terrain had this functionality. I am just surprised it is missing, it is absolute basics :)

Latest commit in repo, data\esqworld\demo_test.world

1.wmv

Edited by demostenes

Ah thanks! I tried with 2.11 beta and smooth is working there. Same map.....

Btw, is precision of terrain editing still dependant on resolution of imported height map? Or once imported, it is controlled by settings of terrain?

Edited by demostenes

There was a bug in smooth brush as well - it was working only if terrain is being generated with Opacity option enabled (only heightmap was broken). Bug fix will be in the final 2.11 release.

Btw, is precision of terrain editing still dependant on resolution of imported height map? Or once imported, it is controlled by settings of terrain?

Precision of terrain editing is depends on pixel size, so if you have 3m per pixel and want to add 5cm detail the whole 3m pixel will be overwritten. To avoid id you can simply add new Layer Map with required precision and modify it. After that you can blend  between two layers and get the desired results :)

Thanks!

---

1 hour ago, silent said:

There was a bug in smooth brush as well - it was working only if terrain is being generated with Opacity option enabled (only heightmap was broken). Bug fix will be in the final 2.11 release.

Precision of terrain editing is depends on pixel size, so if you have 3m per pixel and want to add 5cm detail the whole 3m pixel will be overwritten. To avoid id you can simply add new Layer Map with required precision and modify it. After that you can blend  between two layers and get the desired results :)

Thanks!

So it is controlled by resolution of imported map (or manually set) as before (I noticed some parametres in render settings regardings size of polygons, so I wasnt sure...).

If I try add 5cm detail into 20km/20km 8192 terrain, it is not possible, smallest detail is cca 2,5m (which correponds to 20km/8192). Seconds case works. Btw I ve created second layer 1k*1k, put resolution 8192 (to achieve precision around 10cm), pressed reimport to apply changes and it crashes editor (2.10). 2.11 beta is OK :) 

If I am in the additive mode, I can easily add, but cant go bellow main terrain. Is this how it supposed to work (only adding, not substracting)? I v tried also alfa blended mode of teerain and I am not able to substract also (2.10).

image.thumb.png.fb43d55fc084f7eb460ef2471afd1f6f.png

I really like the new terrain, it is fantastic.

Thanks.

Edited by demostenes

What I am trying to achieve

1) I ve added second smaller layer with higher resolution. Alfa blended mode creates square hole in the terrain, so I ve used additive mode.

2) When I try to add, works perfectly

3) When I try to substract, it is not possible by even direct setting of height, I cant go bellow main terrain.

Since alfa blended mode makes square hole in terrain, substraction there is possible, but it does not "copy" main terrain, so I cant use it for this case.  Or is there a way how to get copy of main terrain into such inset for further editing?

image.thumb.png.f9c05e8e118149d7b8c1e62545d7e93a.png

Thanks.

Edited by demostenes

What I am trying to achieve

If I understand you correctly, you want to:

1. Place high-resolution inset on top of the low resolution main terrain
  2. Adjust the heightmap in that place with height values smaller than the height of the low resolution terrain?

Or you want to achieve something different?

---

34 minutes ago, silent said:

If I understand you correctly, you want to:

1. Place high-resolution inset on top of the low resolution main terrain
  2. Adjust the heightmap in that place with height values smaller than the height of the low resolution terrain?

Exactly. Will be really usefull.

Edited by demostenes

You can add second (more detailed) Layer Map on top with Additive blending and use negative Height values for brush (or paint with Ctrl+Mouse1). In that case you will be able to go below the original height of the low-resolution Layer Map (but since Additive blend is enabled you will still see the original terrain heights even if you will paint way below it's level).

Another option will be to use Alpha Blend for second Layer Map and use Eraser to remove the height data from the new detailed Layer Map and repaint it where needed.

---

• silent changed the title to [SOLVED] How is landscape terrain heightmap supposed to be edited?