Open VDB

photo

Just had a short look, but as OpenVDB stores voxel data it seems much better suited for ray-tracing-renderers than polygonal real-time-renderers. 

The only idea to render such data in Unigine I could think of would be some brute-force conversion of sparse OpenVDB data to regular (much lower-res) 3D Texture and usage of Unigine volumetric material (e.g. used for static cloud instance rendering). Still I would doubt that this will give  visually adequate results, in any case memory requirements will be quite high)

Maybe there is some external tool for polygonal conversion of OpenVDB data so you could use standard mesh import formats ?

Would that be something for a smoke, steam visualization? Difficult. 

I thought to do a smokesimulation, prebakes VDB data (per frame) and streaming the data to animate.

Rendering is probably something different.

Alembic import capability will to the trick being able next to drive native Unigine particles and their specific shaders.

I think the best option will be to create an Alembic importer, or just use available particles features without any external driven animation.

If your only goal will be a smoke sim.

Edited by davide445

Images say more than ......

I want achieve complex, sophisticated smoke motion and depict it in a very apealing way. Meaty volume smoke, detailed, but on the other side, cover huge areas, be able to thin the smoke out, and color it.

Idealwise there is a fire burning at the source.

Smoke reflecting in the water and integrated in the scene rendering. Enough FPS that it is pleasing to watch.

;)

d282bab5-0001-0004-0000-000000799513_w948_r1.77_fpx46.63_fpy49.99.jpg

Considering this upcoming particle shaders, and what I remember of my previous experience UE particles, I didn't see why you will not be able to obtain this, eventually using more than one particle source (also using sub-sources spawned at a specific time or position) with specific forces applied. Not sure about water reflection. Here anyway stops my toughs, looking curiously for the real experts answers.

spacer.png

Looking forward to the improved particles, for sure!

We have been playing around with smoke for years and always get to a point, where we had to invent for our special needs.

I think, that there is not a single system, which could produce such results in realtime (yet) as it is pure a computing power question.

The VDB idea is mainly, for creating beliveable motiondata and details.