Landscape terrain questions

photo

First I want to say, that this terrain is beyond any expectations. Ability to make manual changes in layers and keep imported proceduraly generated "base" unchanged is total game changer. Our dreams came true. Also performance seems great. This solution does not have any competition on the market by far. Anyway I have some questions and probably more will come:

Do I understand well, that it does not matter if I import for example 4k heightmap instead of 16x1k heightmap tiles, engine will save it in its own optimized format, so tiles are there more or less for importing 16k+ heightmaps and  no need to use them for lower res heighmaps? Or streaming is conditioned by tiles?

I ve noticed, there are artefacts on blended heightmap (base heightmap is OK), this screen was made in collaborative_editing.world sample. Bug? Technology limitation?:

Thanks!

terr.jpg

Edited by demostenes
  • Like 1

Do I understand well, that it does not matter if I import for example 4k heightmap instead of 16x1k heightmap tiles, engine will save it in its own optimized format, so tiles are there more or less for importing 16k+ heightmaps and  no need to use them for lower res heighmaps? Or streaming is conditioned by tiles?

The internal lmap file is building automatically and there is no difference in how the initial data was prepared (via tiles or via single texture). You can choose whatever workflow you want. We are using megatexture internally, so all the content will be automatically split into the 128x128 chunks.

Right now there is also no compression for .lmap files are implemented, so they can consume a lot of memory on disk, we will improve this in the future SDK updates.

You can see how streaming works by entering render_show_landscape_terrain_vt_streaming command in console :)

I ve noticed, there are artefacts on blended heightmap (base heightmap is OK), this screen was made in collaborative_editing.world sample. Bug? Technology limitation?:

We need some additional time to check this.

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

6 hours ago, demostenes said:

Hello!

You're right it's kind of technology limitations, since we used true displacement instead of fake normal maps, there is not enough bit depth to make it looks more smooth.
I would also like to draw your attention to the fact that in this scene was used not the highest quality content and basically, the artist's can make this artifacts less noticeable.

We know about this issue and it's solution is not a priority yet.

Thanks!