[SOLVED] Test on SteamVR compatible headset

photo

As a first step into the VR activity I'm going to a VR test site next Monday, where they are proposing me to test on this DPVR E3-4K headset.

I will use one of Unigine demos to feel how will work in a familiar settings, but wondering of being not one of the officially supported Rift or Vive will make any difference. Need I to assemble the project with specific settings? Since I haven't (yet) any headset I can't do any test by myself.

Also want to ask if anyone has tested the Valve Index, if it's working well with Unigine and how compare respect HTC Vive Pro.

Edited by davide445

Hi Davide,

Never heard about DPVR. If you can find Valve Index somewhere - it would be the best choice (FOV and resolution are pretty much the best that you can find on a consumer level market). The only thing missing currently is the finger tracking, but other things should work just fine out of the box with the current AppVive plugin.

To run your project in VR you need to implement basic VR logic (currently only in C++ or UnigineScript) and copy additional plugins to your project (you can check VR Template demo for the reference).

Thanks!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

Neither me, but this is what is available for a test nearby. Will work using i.e. the HTC Vive plugin and i.e. the standard Oil refinery demo? Otherwise I will cancel the meeting and save some time.

For our own headset I'm looking for HTC Vive Pro or Valve Index for a start, but wanted first to be able to test them, something seems not so easy to achieve (i.e. didn't find any reseller for Valve Index, only available for order online).

Edited by davide445

Will work using i.e. the HTC Vive plugin and i.e. the standard Oil refinery demo?

I can see that it's running using SteamVR, so in theory (99% chance) everything should work just fine with Vive plugin. You can also use Superposition 1.1 (it has unlocked VR in free version) to do a quick test.

---

About the test I'm going to test both the DPVR headset and also the Oculus Rift S, where I'm not sure if the first will need a Oculus or Vive profile.

Need I to assemble a project with both the plugins, and next choose what to use editing the .bat file telling the app to use either the AppOculus or the AppVive in the start option i.e.

@echo off
chcp 65001
setlocal EnableDelayedExpansion
set app=bin\oil_refinery_x64.exe

start %app%  -video_app auto -video_vsync 0 -video_refresh 0 -video_mode 1 -video_resizable 1 -video_fullscreen 0 -video_debug 0 -video_gamma 1.000000 -sound_app auto -data_path "../data/" -console_command "config_readonly 1" -extern_plugin "AppOculus"

or need I to prepare two different releases, one with AppOculus plugin and another with AppVive?

Edited by davide445

I have tested with a colleague as a benchmark for non-tech experts both the DPVR E3c and E3 4K and also the Oculus Rift S using the Oil Refinery Demo. 

About the hardware a total disappointment all of them, the resolution is really bad and the details are all distorted. Also there are strange pixels noise popping around. The DPVR are really uncomfortable (a mask for EU market is arriving the shop told us) and the 4k version to us didn't show any resolution difference respect the 2k one. 

But wanted to ask about another problem: we wasn't able to move using WASD or the controllers, so we remained stuck in a fixed position far away from the refinery. Any suggestion why this was happening so that we can maybe test again. 

Edited by davide445

As I mentioned before, Oil Refinery controls are tested (and made) mostly for the Vive sticks, so if you have different controllers some buttons mapping can be wrong. You need either to implement this controllers support in code or use Vive sticks (but as far as I know it's possible only with Vive HMD).

I believe you also can disable controllers in demo and bind movement to WASD buttons, but it also may require some coding.

Thanks!

---

The Oil Refinery demo was launched with AppVive option on DPVR headset, with AppOculus on the Rift S. Both showed the same problem being stuck in a single place. There is any other conf needed? 

Also was considering as intermediate step / alternative conf to start using Oculus Quest + VRidge for streaming the content from the PC running Unigine, or just render a 360 video in Unigine and load it in Quest for using it completely mobile. This will use the Quest controllers, will I have the same problems of mismapping? 

Edited by davide445

This will use the Quest controllers, will I have the same problems of mismapping? 

Hard to say, we never had a chance to play with Oculus Quest and it's controllers. If AppOculus plugin will be loaded successfully, controllers should work (but, as I mentioned before, you will not be able to do anything in the demo because it's being hardcoded to use Vive Sticks).

Generally speaking, without logic modification only Vive / Vive Pro (Vive Sticks) | Valve Index (Knuckles) HDMs will be fully functional in the Oil Refinery demo. Other HDMs and controllers may not work (but the picture should be displayed anyway).

---

Was just

19 minutes ago, silent said:

Generally speaking, without logic modification only Vive / Vive Pro (Vive Sticks) | Valve Index (Knuckles) HDMs will be fully functional in the Oil Refinery demo. Other HDMs and controllers may not work (but the picture should be displayed anyway).

Was looking at the Oil Refinery demo informative panel and state is compatible also with Oculus Rift.

image.thumb.png.a533d2bc38d75d1b1b1c79c7fdbbfe69.png

We can say that Oculus support is faded away?

Also considering the Fox Hole demo wanted to know if will work (out of the box) mostly only on Vive and Index.

Pushing on different direction such as the Quest since after testing Rift S (that is supposed to be anyway capable HMD) the experience was so bad that I'm wondering if a Vive Pro/Index that are not doubling the resolution but bump it about 30% more will make a so great difference, or will be another disappointment with a higher price tag and without being able so far to test them before a purchase.

How well is perceived a Vive Pro in industrial settings vs s Rift S?

How well is perceived a Vive Pro in industrial settings vs s Rift S?

Rift S in general is easier to set up and it's very lightweight (compared to Vive Pro for example). Vive Pro have a slightly better viewing angles.

But in general the screen resolution is still not enough. You can try to enable super-sampling, but there is no such hardware available yet to achieve a decent performance in this case :(

We can say that Oculus support is faded away?

It will be restored someday :) But right now - yes, it's not working as good as we need.

Also considering the Fox Hole demo wanted to know if will work (out of the box) mostly only on Vive and Index.

FoxHole is also Vive-only :)

---

On 12/25/2019 at 11:48 AM, silent said:

It will be restored someday :) But right now - yes, it's not working as good as we need.

Just to understand a point: the available demos are targeted at HTC Vive hw, but if we create our project with a sample content, the Oculus Quest will work out of the box using the AppOculus plugin? Or using OpenVR mode? 

Hi Davide,

VR template should work with Oculus Rift / Rift S. We never tested with Quest, however if the joysticks are the same it should just work with AppOculus plugin loaded.

If you are going to use SteamVR / OpenVR (AppVive) you will need to do additional coding to make the Oculus controllers work.

• Like 1

---