Blend two materials on a node

photo

Was trying to solve the tiling problem applying a material to a big surface, where the tiling shows clearly

image(3).png.7e5786e72e65892070c157f065556f02.png

I tried blending two materials as details but of course this work only inside the tile. There is any way to create a mask the size of the whole node and blend the materials using this bigger mask.

We are using Triplanar World mapping due the node UV corruption in the Revit-->fbx export process (same for many other nodes). 

There was a post about vertex painting that might be useful in this case, being able to freely blend materials on a surface.

Edited by davide445

Hi Davide,

Even without correct UVs you can modify the UV scale for detail and mask textures separately (so you can change the mask size to fully cover the object):

image.png

You can also use vertex colors for mask, but you need a 3rd party DCC tool to paint it (no painting tool available in Editor yet).

Additionally you can also apply a 2D noise texture: https://developer.unigine.com/en/docs/2.9/content/materials/library/mesh_base/#option_2d_noise

Thanks!

• Like 1

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

Hello silent

to simplify instead of a perling noise mask I tried with a simple square mask as attached, this is the result

image.png.467efb326dc89245ae762230e4422d7d.png

Changing the Detail Mask UV Transform didn't changed anything.

Tried using 2D noise instead (discovered didn't play well with also mask enabled) and chaning the UV of the noise the best I can achieve is this

image.png.a71fd56aa1043c9d22c346365169c3ac.png

So this time the noise tiling is visible.

I think will try with decals for better results.

Square_mask.png

Edited by davide445

Using 4k texture with a lower resolution detail seems to produce perfect results out of the box, but unfortunately the UV corruption problem prevented me to use the standard UV0 mapping

image.png.0d44039855e051f4e2e1ce43fe62daea.png

Using Triplanar World mapping both for Base and Detail resolve the distorted texture problem but produce the well known patterned result

image.png.1dff14796ba53d6a63fc399f96d5da36.png

Using a mask and enabling the Triplanar mapping also for the mask enable to change the mask size growing it more than the texture tile (here using a hand painted mask just for test), so that there is a good alternance but still the detail texture tiles are visible.

image.png.2a1f1d02edcbb5d798807db7db03a070.png

The best will be achieve the first result obtained on UV0 but using triplanar mapping so to avoid the texture distortion.

Edited by davide445

Hey.

tiling is of course a matter of your texture.

Basically, a perfect tileable texture cannot hold unique details.

But more interesting is the question of what kind of look you want to achieve.

I had a very hard time with this project: http://www.johngerrard.net/exercise-dunhuang-2014.html

... using the terrain. At that time there were not many possibilities to design. (4 layers for 100 square km) ;)

But as a thumb I would say:

- consider your materials well and decide, how you gonna create your details

- use texture for the tiles, which obviously dont have unique details, and tile well.

- use masks for distributing these 'layers', e.g. for Regular channel and detail texture for the standard material

- consider your camera distance and the resulting level of detail. 

- split your meshes to be able to use more materials

- use decals 

of course, a lot more to say....

ps: A working UV-set should be in place, otherwise you give away the basics of 3d cg. ;)

best. Werner

Edited by werner.poetzelberger

Basically even if this is a feasibility study so all the work is hand made, the idea is being able to automate the generation of a construction process simulation. Get the 3d model, map the elements with the project plan activities, map materials, setup surrounding environment, done. 

So my idea from the beginning was finding a way to don't needing to care about UV mapping, since too often this is broken changing formats and tools, and correcting this is still a handmade professional intensive activity as far as I know (happy to know if someone discovered another solution). The availability of triplanar mapping out of the box was one of the reasons I choose Unigine. 

In this case my goal is to achieve first a more realistic result such as in the first image (as written, avoiding the texture distorsione due to bad UV) 

image.png

And second find a way to add multiple details in a specific but wide region, being the region mesh made and not landscape. That's why also experimenting with decals. This again with the final goal to being able to add them in a parametric way: define a database of details and mix them using a configuration setup file. 

In the previous project I was using details mask on the landscape to map specific material and details in specific region of the terrain, but this appear to be time consuming and with uncertain results (at least in that case that was my first Unigine project, maybe with more knowledge I will change my mind).