Sign in to follow this  
photo

sky gradient banding artefact

Hi,

I'm noticing some very annoying banding artefacts in the sky, no supersampling involved, and I'm just using out of the box provided base, lightcolor an mie textures. Does this problem come from the fact these maps are very low res nor HDRs. 

So what is the best way of getting rid of this gradient banding quantification: increase maps res, use more bit depth (regular scattering luts are simple tga), add some bluenoise... ? This is less noticeable at midday and with cloud layers, but still visible.

Thanks for any advice. 

RSky_banding_artefact.thumb.png.94dae968ec9283cf8db65f49eed3d840.png

Hi Romain,

Please, make sure that you have enabled 16-bit color buffer in Rendering Settings:

image.png

Hi

yes Color 16F is checked, the banding is even obviously worst when uncheked...

Could you please send us a sample .world file with this sun position to check?

Thanks!

Sun is indeed very low on horizon, magic hour

VIZ_NG.world

Thanks for the test scene.

Indeed there is a color banding occurs. We need some time for investigation. We will take a closer look into this after 2.10 SDK release (right now the whole team is busy with 2.10 SDK stabilization).

As soon as new information arrives from our dev team I will post an update.

thanks for the feedback, having some nicely dithered sky gradient at dusk and dawn with good atmospheric haze feeling are a must for clean cinematic like mood, and I don't want to rely on static env maps.

Edited by romain.janil

It's DOF which is causing this banding effect. Disabling it and bands vanish, but no circle DOF and blured far background...

That's strange, because with enabled DOF i have less banding with disabled :)

Hi Silent, with this particular world scene setup it's worst with DOF blur, here are 2 pics to compare:S_DOF_true.thumb.png.2ea5118daf71692a880de56f5dd89379.png enabled

S_DOF_false.thumb.png.3430b00ea877bd46ab7e2253169cab8a.pngdisabled

even with a very small blur amount

Actually I as well experienced banding with DOF in some scenes.

This bug has been already fixed in the internal builds. Bug fix will be available with 2.11 release.

Very good!

Thank you.

Hi Silent, thanks for the news.

Sign in to follow this