[SOLVED] Assign a material to every group component

photo

Having my 41k objects grouped, I need now to assign different materials to different groups.

image.png.b096d90afe23dce23d6e8f56b47fe166.png

But I can't find a way to assign a single material to a group, since every node does have assigned a read-only mesh_base material.

I didn't find any way to a) inherit a child material for all the group components, without needing to do this individually node by node b) assign the new material to all the group components, again avoiding to do it manually for every single node.

Edited by davide445

Hello Davide,

We don't have any specific logic for the groups, in fact, there's even no such abstraction as a "group". What you see is an empty object with a number of different child nodes. Assigning materials per group (let's imagine that there's such a feature) also wouldn't work because you can have objects inside that require different material types.

You've already reorganized your FBX in 3DS Max, have you tried assigning materials there? If you'll prepare FBX with materials and textures it'll imported correctly.

Thanks.

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

In fact was really easy to achieve: select all the nodes inside the "group" empty object, drag&drop the material to the Surface Material field. Was not working dropping the material on the Name field or the preview square.

Too trivial for asking on this experts forum!

image.thumb.png.5838ac5f86fe2508e132eaa270557c66.png

Edited by davide445