[SOLVED] Adding nodes as layers / references through API

photo

Hi all,

I'm having issues loading nodes as references or layers into the scene through the C++ API. We are currently loading nodes into the World (in editor- and in release mode) like this:

auto node = Unigine::World::get()->loadNode(path);
Unigine::Editor::get()->addNode(node);

I'd like to replace this to use either Node References or Node Layers instead, but I can't get it to work properly.

What I tried was:

auto node = Unigine::NodeReference::create(path);
Unigine::Editor::get()->addNode(node->getNode());

This crashes somewhere in the Unigine internals on world update, it looks like the node pointer gets invalidated after "node" goes out of scope. Am I missing something that I need to do to have the Editor take over ownership of the reference? I can't find any method to add the node to the current world, even though I'd assume this needs to be done somehow...

Also, is it possible to load nodes as References / Layers without adding them to the Editor? In the first snippet, I can simply omit the call to Editor::get()->addNode(), then the Node is present in the World but not visible in the editor.

59 minutes ago, f.reichl said:

This crashes somewhere in the Unigine internals on world update, it looks like the node pointer gets invalidated after "node" goes out of scope

Try use release() before add in Editor.

auto node = Unigine::NodeReference::create("NodeDummy.node");
if (node)
{
	node->release();
	Editor::get()->addNode(node->getNode());
}

1 hour ago, f.reichl said:

Also, is it possible to load nodes as References / Layers without adding them to the Editor? In the first snippet, I can simply omit the call to Editor::get()->addNode(), then the Node is present in the World but not visible in the editor.

yes, you can use nodereference without Editor. But you have to destroy the nodes yourself.

• silent changed the title to [SOLVED] Adding nodes as layers / references through API