[SOLVED] Passing public GuiPtr to other classes

photo

Hello,

I have a GUI that is created in AppWorldLogic and the GuiPtr for it is established as public in the corresponding header file.

For my project, I also have another class (say, MyClass) defined that needs to be able to add and manipulate widgets on the same GUI, so I have tried to pass in the GuiPtr from AppWorldLogic into the constructor for MyClass. However, when I subsequently try to add children to the GUI from the MyClass's constructor, they never appear.

Any suggestions on what I've done wrong or what else I could try to troubleshoot this issue? Thanks!

Yes here is some snippets of the code, without the other irrelevant chunks:

// Inside AppWorldLogic.h

class AppWorldLogic : public Unigine::WorldLogic
{
public:      
	virtual int init();
	Unigine::GuiPtr gui_ptr;
	bool initGUI();

private:
	MyClass class_obj;
};

// Inside AppWorldLogic.cpp

int AppWorldLogic::init() {
	initGUI();
	return 1;
}

bool AppWorldLogic::initGUI() {
	gui_ptr = Gui::get();
	class_obj = MyClass(gui_ptr);
	gui_ptr->setEnabled(1);
	return true;
}

// Inside MyClass.h

class MyClass
{
private:
	Unigine::WidgetButtonPtr myButton;

public:
	MyClass();
	MyClass(Unigine::GuiPtr gui_ptr);
};

// Inside MyClass.cpp
MyClass::MyClass()
{
}

MyClass::MyClass(Unigine::GuiPtr gui_ptr) {
	Unigine::WidgetButtonPtr myButton = Unigine::WidgetButton::create(gui_ptr, "Button");
	gui_ptr->addChild(myButton->getWidget(), Unigine::Gui::ALIGN_OVERLAP);
}

This does not work and when I debugged the issue, it seems the gui pointer is actually fine, but creating the WidgetButton in MyClass is the issue. When I instead put the following line of code inside initGUI( ) in AppWorldLogic.cpp and then pass the button pointer into the constructor of MyClass, everything works and appears fine.

Unigine::WidgetButtonPtr myButton = Unigine::WidgetButton::create(gui_ptr, "Button");

Is there a reason why this button creation does not work inside MyClass but it does work in AppWorldLogic? Also is there something I can do to allow widgets to be created and added to the Gui from other cpp files – not AppWorldLogic?

Thanks!

Hello msrinivasan32,

myButton destroys the button in a destructor when the scope is ended, that's a common pitfall. Lifetime need to be extended. This one should work (as MyClass already has myButton member):

myButton = Unigine::WidgetButton::create(gui_ptr, "Button");

Without looking into this in any depth, it sounds like it's getting garbage collected. You might need to keep a reference to the Widget in MyClass. I won't speculate why it doesn't get GCed the other way.

• silent changed the title to [SOLVED] Passing public GuiPtr to other classes