crash loading world repeatedly

photo

Hello, we are currently on 2.7.1and I am seeing a very strange intermittent crash.

If I reload a world over and over in release(double) I will eventually get a crash, sometimes it takes 1 time, sometimes it takes 10  the crash each time has been in ObjectMeshClutterWorld::checkIntersection.  I have yet to see it when running debug.

on the line result &= terrain_global->getNormalLods()->fetch(bound_sphere, bound_box, 0);  

according to the assembly getting generated it thinks terrain_global is NULL.  very strange considering its inside of a null check and the line above it happily gets the heightLods from the same object.

This is happening in WorldSpawnMeshClutterThread.  If I look through the other threads there is always at least one thread inside of terrain_global->getNormalLods()->fetch function.  Sometimes its WorldSpawnGrassThread, and other times it's a CPUThread which is getting collisions from the ObjectMeshClutter.  But every time it crashes there is always a thread fetching .

Is this something anyone has seen? any workarounds or fixes?  crashing on world load is pretty unacceptable especially with the frequency we are seeing it.

Thanks,

Dusty

Hi Dusty,

Could you please give us any step-by-step guide how to reproduce this? Also some additional information will surely help:

1. How big is your ObjectTerrainGlobal (and disk usage in GB)?
  2. How many ObjectMeshClutter nodes do you have in scene and how large are they (number of objects, bound box size in units)?

I've just tried to migrate terrain to the ObjectTerrainGlobal in Samples 2.x -> clutter -> clutter_terrain_example sample and it seems there is no crashes if I continuously call world_reload console command (but I doubt that you have such small terrain in your project).

Thanks!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

We have similar experience. Just open esqworld and reload several times/try to load other worlds... It will crash sooner or later. Code in esqworld is turned off (it was only code for using tracks of weather system). Nothing in any log.

Silent, 

The world I have been testing on is one of our smaller ones, the landscape is 1.6 GB, and its about 8300 square km. we have a total of 45 objects parented to the landscape, 22 are grass objects and 23 are mesh clusters,  each is broken up into 16 quads which are 22855x22855.   I don't know if it matters but the initial spawn doesn't have some of the trees visible, so not all objects are in view.

Hi @dred,

I tried to reproduce this crash with bigger terrains and clutter objects - no success.

Earlier you'd sent us the project with a number of worlds. Is this crash comes from one of them? If it's not, please, send me more info on the scene:

• Terrain elevation density
  • Parameters for grass and clutter objects: step, density and subdivision. Screenshot with parameters window will be okay.
  • Camera visibility distance

Thanks.

---

I spent some time trying to narrow this down to something I could send you guys in(or make it work with that project).  unfortunately, it's being fickle.  I wasn't able to see that crash unless I went through our world loading process.  We do a lot of stuff when we load the world.  If I stripped it out so all it did was stock loading, I didn't see the crash.  We also have a few modes you can load up and 1 of them I saw the crash maybe 2 out of a couple hundred loads,  another mode loading one I saw it one in 5 as I said above, another one which is pretty much identical to the one that crashes a lot, I never saw it(its the same world but each of them have a folder with different stuff in it which gets enabled on load).  I tried removing pretty much all the items from the one that crashes until it had just a couple items which are needed for the world to appear, and it was still crashing.  I'm guessing something in our startup process is slowing down something that normally happens quick,  which is exposing the problem.  

9 minutes ago, dred said:

We also have a few modes you can load up and 1 of them I saw the crash maybe 2 out of a couple hundred loads

Can you be more specific? What's the difference between these load modes? May I ask you to send us code samples?

10 minutes ago, dred said:

I tried removing pretty much all the items from the one that crashes until it had just a couple items which are needed for the world to appear, and it was still crashing.

Which objects have you left in the scene?

Thanks.

---

• 11 months later...