Random crashes

photo

Since 2.7.3 we are experiencing random crashes during editor work. It crashes in average 3-4x per day, it seems it is related to various node actions.  It happens during stardard level designer work, which means: Putting nodes into scene, manipulating nodes there, creating node references, duplicating node references, browsing asset library. Nothing in log (not even debug). We will try to log what exactly was level designer doing before crash. I will update this topic as soon as we have something.

Btw, what about putting some configurable time for autosave in editor (on - how much/off)?

Edited by demostenes
  • 2 weeks later...

I found one particular case. If you delete material, which has children (via materials browser), it crashes (esq project). After reload children are on the same level as deleted parent. Probably it should ask, if also delete children.

I also had several times crash after dragging world layer node into scene (with lots of sub nodes, good examples are in data/asset_library/layer_nodes), in this case \data\asset_library\layer_nodes\cechy\cech_berserku_evil.node, but generally it does not matter, any will do. Good to jump to some heavier area, in my case it was layer node cech_berserku_evil and then add world layer node. Bigger CPU/GPU load increases chance for crash. Tested in esqworld, revision 775. Only scripts in world are now world expressions for water buyoancy and moving objects (fancy rotations, etc...), but not active in this area. 

Edited by demostenes
  • 1 month later...

Editor sometimes crashes, when switching from one world to another. Tried on several computers with different GPUs. Steps: open any world, fly camera over the world  to load textures/meshes and then load any new world. Chance to crash cca 20-30 percent. I ve also tried on different worlds than esqworld and it happens there also. Should be easily reproducable in our project between data\interior_worlds\cech_heretiku and \data\interior_worlds\dungeons\Harveys_Pit_laboratory, you can also use esqworld.

Hi @demostenes,

I've reproduced this. However, it wasn't that often as you mentioned, but quite stable. I also observed that you're running main_sdl.exe instead of regular main.exe. Is this on purpose?

We'll investigate the reasons for the crash and will try to fix it in the next update.

Thanks.

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

3 hours ago, morbid said:

Hi @demostenes,

I've reproduced this. However, it wasn't that often as you mentioned, but quite stable. I also observed that you're running main_sdl.exe instead of regular main.exe. Is this on purpose?

We'll investigate the reasons for the crash and will try to fix it in the next update.

Thanks.

Yes, it is on purpose, we are using SDL version in our game client (we need to low level access mouse and keybord), so we want to have exactly same environment in editor. But it is crashing with main.exe too. Thanks.

Edited by demostenes
59 minutes ago, demostenes said:

Yes, it is on purpose, we are using SDL version in our game client (we need to low level access mouse and keybord), so we want to have exactly same environment in editor. But it is crashing with main.exe too. Thanks.

Okay! I was just curious because, if I'm not mistaken, in the previous revisions it was main.exe.

I'll update you as soon as this will be fixed.

Thanks.

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads: