Properties settings and components

photo

Hello, a few quick question on properties:

• Component requires properties to have "manual='1'". I don't understand what it stands for.
  • When creating a property from the editor asset browser, the property is created without "manual", but it has a guid attribute and a parent attribute pointing to a guid. Whereas the doc for Component says the property should have "manual='1'" and a parent_name attribute with the name of the parent (not its guid). This is confusing. Are they really for two different usages?
  • The doc says the property for a Component will be generated at run-time in the data folder, but it really creates it in the data/ComponentSystem folder. The path is hardcoded in the source, so I guess we are restricted to put all custom properties here? or did I miss something?
  • The new component system is really nice, but I miss the custom components from being also runnable from within the editor. A script version would be really great, even as a low-perf prototyping stage. 

Thanks!

Hi Amerio.Stephane,

Component requires properties to have "manual='1'". I don't understand what it stands for.
No, it's not necessary. But, it's more convenient to read/write because there are no guids instead of human-readable names.

Are they really for two different usages?
Unfortunately, the Editor doesn't have a "property editor". You can't add new parameters or structures to the properties. You can only inherit or clone it from existed files. When we make it the "manual" argument will be removed probably. "Manual" argument now is for the new base properties. Without any "guid" and "parent guid" arguments.

I guess we are restricted to put all custom properties here? or did I miss something?
You can put your properties in any place you want. Component System just looking for existed property (by its "name" argument) and if it doesn't exist, create it inside the data/ComponentSystem folder.

A script version would be really great, even as a low-perf prototyping stage.
We will think about that. A lot of people want this feature.

Best regards,
Alexander