Number of Interactive items - any benchmark?

photo

Hello,

I was wondering if there is any benchmark available - or any first-hand experience the forum people can share - about the number of interactive items in a project. By "Interactive" I mean elements that the user can pick/select and do something on them; as an example, in the Oil Refinery demo, there a few ones in the container area (where the training exercise is implemented).

We are looking for scenes that potentially scale up to many tens of thousands of such interactive items. Does anyone know if Unigine can handle such a large volume of interactive parts? Any reference to real numbers or a benchmark scene would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Luca

Hi luca,

in Unigine Superposition benchmark you can operate more than 900 interactive objects. You can follow the link or download it as a demo via SDK Browser.

It also depends on what do you mean by interactive object. Should these objects be physical bodies, how well detailed are they? Will they be moving simultaneously? Are they unique? All these features require different CPU and GPU resources.

1 hour ago, luca.vezzadini said:

We are looking for scenes that potentially scale up to many tens of thousands of such interactive items.

This sounds like a tough challenge for any 3d engine, however, in the next release, we'll present a small demo that shows how you can transform big numbers of similar meshes in runtime.

Thanks.

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

Hi, and thamks for the quick reply.

the objects are not moving, so no constant work on them for the CPU in updating them. But I need them to be pickable (selectable) by the user. We can limit the range of selectable items around the current user position, to optimize performance, but we need all the items anyway to be potentially active. Think of the refinery demo: I need to be able to move close to ANY item in the scene, select it and do something specific to it. So the actual work for every frame is: possibly filter the list of items so to limit it to the ones in a given range, highlight them (as you do on the items in the container demo), and if the user pick on one of the, do the needed work.

With a entity system/component approach this should be achievable even for big numbers like the one I mentioned. What do you think?

Luca