Water and shoreline wave direction


photo

Recommended Posts

Hello,

What is the recommended way to set the wind direction for realistic ocean wave and shoreline direction ?

Is it possible to gradually change the wind direction and/or intensity, or is it forcibly in large visible step ?

Is it possible to have a shoreline for the whole contour of a lake (I mean, having wave going from the "center" of the lake and breaking on all shores, not just in one direction)

Thank you.

Link to post

Hello Stephane,

On 8/14/2018 at 1:51 AM, Amerio.Stephane said:

What is the recommended way to set the wind direction for realistic ocean wave and shoreline direction ?

May I ask you what do you mean by realistic waves? You can configure wind direction and shoreline in water material. I guess you already checked water in the Oil platform demo.

On 8/14/2018 at 1:51 AM, Amerio.Stephane said:

Is it possible to gradually change the wind direction and/or intensity, or is it forcibly in large visible step ?

I'm afraid that right now there's no such option. What result you'd like to see?

On 8/14/2018 at 1:51 AM, Amerio.Stephane said:

s it possible to have a shoreline for the whole contour of a lake

You can try combining a number of shorelines inside a lake, but overlapping shoreline areas will be visible.

Thank you!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

Link to post
15 hours ago, morbid said:

You can configure wind direction and shoreline in water material. I guess you already checked water in the Oil platform demo.

In the Oil Platform, wind direction is set set by rotating the "water" object. But the water material also has some "wave direction" vectors. So I 'm wondering if it's better to just rotate the node or to modify the material. If I modify the material, I noted there are wave0, wave1, wave2 and detail so what/how should it be modified. Rotating the node is simpler, but it may have some adverse effects (child nodes for examples would be affected).

Regarding shoreline waves, I noted their direction is independent from the water waves direction, so I was wondering if there existed some "master wind direction" parameter I would have missed.

15 hours ago, morbid said:

What result you'd like to see

In some scenario, the wind direction and force change during the mission (typical scenario: take off with clear sky/no wind situation, head to platform, then weather gradually changes to heavy storm. Pilot has to decide whether to go back or continue. We assess this point of decision). A suggestion would be to have some way to blend multiple settings for the water parameters (like you have for the environment presets, maybe).

 

15 hours ago, morbid said:

You can try combining a number of shorelines inside a lake

That made the trick. But the doc does not explain that you have to rotate the shoreline object AND recreate the texture to change the wave direction. I would suggest adding an arrow to the box gizmo maybe to help visualise that.

Thank you !

Link to post
16 hours ago, Amerio.Stephane said:

Regarding shoreline waves, I noted their direction is independent from the water waves direction, so I was wondering if there existed some "master wind direction" parameter I would have missed.

Right now we have no such feature, you can control water rotation and visuals for waves.

16 hours ago, Amerio.Stephane said:

weather gradually changes to heavy storm

This could be achieved by tracker and combination of different water materials parameters. Have you checked "parameterSlider" option in Tracker tool?

16 hours ago, Amerio.Stephane said:

I would suggest adding an arrow to the box gizmo maybe to help visualise that.

It's a good idea, I'll describe your request, thanks!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

Link to post
2 hours ago, morbid said:

This could be achieved by tracker and combination of different water materials parameters. Have you checked "parameterSlider" option in Tracker tool?

Do you mean adding all parameters in the tracker tool, manually keyframing all values according to the value preset in the existing Beaufort materials ? I thought about doing this, but it looks like a lot of painful copy/paste to do. May I suggest adding a "material interpolator" track in a future release, where one could interpolate between two sibling materials having the same attributes. I can already see a lot of different usage for this (eg. interpolate between a clean and dirty/damaged material, using only one slider instead of having to use a lot of parameterSlider)

Link to post

Hi, @Amerio.Stephane

On 8/16/2018 at 2:56 AM, Amerio.Stephane said:

then weather gradually changes to heavy storm

Our tech artist noted that right now it couldn't be achieved via changing material parameters. I was mistaken, sorry.

Water beauforts visuals depend on texture tiling and it couldn't be modified on the fly. You still can try to change wave animations for desired material presets.

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

Link to post