Terrain brush update 2.8

photo

I ve noticed, that for 2.8 is planned update of terrain brushes. Do you already know scope? Especially height map tools are missing some quite important features. I can pick requirments and put it here.

Hi, here is my wish list:

• regenerate-resistant modifications (so a Generate landscape won't annihilate my efforts to customize the terrain...)
  • tessellation brush (to add more geometric details for cliffs, or around piers and barriers. This would allow some basic vertical "sculpting")
  • patterned brush (so the "paint" is not uniformed in the painted area. Could use a 1-channel image as the texture)
  • mesh scatter brush (that would actually work with Cluster/Clutter)
  • decal brush (select a decal or a list of decals, then 'splat' it over the terrain)

Thanks !

On 7. 6. 2018 at 1:06 PM, Amerio.Stephane said:
  • mesh scatter brush (that would actually work with Cluster/Clutter)
  • decal brush (select a decal or a list of decals, then 'splat' it over the terrain)

This is already possible via clutters/clusters and paint tool there.

Hello Amerio.Stephane,

On 6/7/2018 at 6:06 PM, Amerio.Stephane said:

regenerate-resistant modifications (so a Generate landscape won't annihilate my efforts to customize the terrain...)

This case will be resolved with adding support of layers workflow to terrain global

tessellation brush (to add more geometric details for cliffs, or around piers and barriers. This would allow some basic vertical "sculpting")

Unfortunately you can only improve tessellation for a whole tile of terrain global, but you already can achieve higher tessellation in specific places by adding another height lod with desired density and using brush on it.

patterned brush (so the "paint" is not uniformed in the painted area. Could use a 1-channel image as the texture)

Could you please describe more precisely what do you expect from patterned brush? 

mesh scatter brush (that would actually work with Cluster/Clutter)

You can adjust mesh scatter by editing mask image with brushes from Object Mesh Clutter(Cluster)

decal brush (select a decal or a list of decals, then 'splat' it over the terrain)

This could be done by using decal texture as custom brush. If it does not fits your needs, could you please describe typical use case in which such brush could be used

Thank you for your feedback!

Unfortunately you can only improve tessellation for a whole tile of terrain global, but you already can achieve higher tessellation in specific places by adding another height lod with desired density and using brush on it.

Agreed, but this process means I have to go back to my GIS software to generate a small area with artificially increased precision. Maybe the editor could add a new "elevation layer" on the fly, in the future.

Could you please describe more precisely what do you expect from patterned brush? 

Sure: see Photoshop brushes. The idea would be to have a "noisy" pattern, that could be used to add some large details on the ground, to replace a lot of small brush strokes. I'm used to Quixel for example, to add some weathering to materials. The same process could be used on terrain.

In the long term, it could be nice to be able to define a "ground material" library (mud, asphalt, grass, rocky, ...) an be able to use it to directly paint the terrain, without having to manually add layers in the Landscape tools first. (again, see Quixel megascans process). The layers would be added "automatically".