Optymize new Landscape system for VR

photo

Hey,

The new Landscape system is really good tool. But please optimize it to use in VR because after putting HMD even for simple terrain with albedo the performance, overall FPS is dropped really much even on GeForce 1080 8GB and i7 intel CPU (I can't figure what is going on, without landscape the performance for VR is about 90 FPS which as I think is locked by the engine because it is target FPS frame rate but with Landscape usually is dropped equally to half of it as 45 FPS, please check it :). I am testing it with Oculus Rift.

Of course it may be connected with LOD optimizations... I will make more tries, but do you have the same issues ? Or some suggestions ?

Cheers

Edited by Klimczak.Jan

Hi Jan,

If you are using Oculus, please make sure that ASW is disabled to see the real performance. It can be very close to 90 (like 88 or 89), but Oculus driver will drop it to 45.

You can check the framerate without connecting the HMD by entering render_vr_emulation 2 && render_stereo 1. You should have 100-110 fps in order to have steady 90 in HMD.

It's hard to say what is going on on your side without seeing the actual numbers.

Thanks!

• Like 1

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, 

I'm also getting performance issues with landscapes in VR.

With just a landscape, water object and cloud object, I get about 110-120fps without VR, then around 60fps when VR is enabled - however this does lock down to 45 fps after a minute even with ASW set to disabled in the Oculus Debug Tool. 

If I enable all my vector objects such as 2.5d buildings and roads, my performance in VR is 20-30fps.

If I disable the landscape object in the world outliner, then run via the browser, the performance is still significantly less, even though the landscape and all it's child objects aren't being drawn. I can't seem to find a way to control the culling of the road decals. Using the min/max visibility settings doesn't really work because that distance is calculated between the player and the centre of the origin - which means that while I may be standing on a road, because I'm far away from the origin, it gets culled. 

In the documentation it states that splines are more performant than decals, but what if we could control the culling per mesh on SplineGroup like UE4? In that example, the culling distance is calculated for each mesh along a spline rather than the distance to the spline's origin. If I look at the microprofiler, there is a large section per frame, about 6-8ms for just the spline decals. 

VR Off -> VR On                                             

image.png.80506f766decab74815599a6e82b35fd.pngimage.png.54e04f32b40f2f59b23f2f4288e47cdb.png

image.thumb.png.8e9e9c8be045690c5ccfb590661d379f.png

I'm using the provided VR_Template as a base.

My PC specs are:

AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
GTX 1080
64gb of RAM.

Edited by james.kelly

Here's another screenshot showing ASW (I think?)  kicking in after about 30 seconds despite being disabled in Debug tools, resulting in a 45fps cap.

image.thumb.png.98eb550113ea123a47c159e7bf459635.png

Edited by james.kelly