Landscape grass and trees process

photo

Hello,

I'm trying to wrap my head around an actually efficient process to generate a large set of *various* trees and grass, in a very large terrain. Correct me if I'm wrong, but according to the doc, the process looks like:

1. add a single tree of a single type in the scene
  2. create an impostor from it
  3. create an ObjectClutter from the tree *mesh*
  4. reassigns materials and readjust LOD distance for the clutter (so I'm actually redoing the work that was made when creating the tree *node*)
  5. create an ObjectGrass matching the ObjectClutter, manually inherit material, assign impostor texture, tweak LOD and other settings
  6. create a NodeReference for the ObjectClutter
  7. create a NodeReference for the ObjectGrass
  8. Now in Landscape editor, for a specific landcover tag, add the NodeReference for the ObjectClutter and then for the ObjectGrass
  9. Generate landscape
  10. Test, adjust ObjectClutter and ObjectGrass, apply updates, and repeat step 9
  11. Repeat steps 1-10 for a new kind of tree

While none of these steps is too complex, it's still very tedious if you want some diversity in your terrain. I feel the grass/impostors steps should really be a "behind the scene" operation.

I tried using WorldClutter. Its usage seems more straightforward, and supports a variety of trees node by default, but I couldn't find a way to use it with grass impostors.

For the records, I need a visibility distance of 5km at the very minimum with impostors. Real meshes only need to be visible below 100m.

You are right, some of the steps can be automated on our end in theory.

We have plans on making the vegetation system more high-level and easier to use, but it is not the highest priority at the moment, sorry.