General Overview

photo

Hi all,

I've been looking at Unigine for a good few years now, and am finally thinking of jumping over. Been a Unity and UE4 developer since their respective inceptions. I currently have the Standard SDK Trial and i'm just after some general 'how things are done'?

I'm coming at this with a Prefab type mentality, i.e. Blueprints in UE4 and Prefab in Unity which contain all the functionality of the asset; Mesh and functionality. I don't see this workflow within Unigine, or not where i'm looking in the Editor. I don't see my classes anywhere to drag onto nodes as components.

My work is mainly procedural, so having predefined nodes is ideal but I don't want to fight against the engine. Oh, and i'll be C++ only as a preference.

Any insights to get me over this initial brain hurdle would be greatly received.

Best,

Matt.

Hi Matthew,

We are in the middle of Unigine 2.7 SDK update right now: https://developer.unigine.com/forum/topic/4729-unigine-27-beta/

It will include articles for those who migrate from UE / Unity and I will inroduce a rewritten propery system that can be used together with component system. I hope that would be very a great improvement for the new users :)

As far as I know there is no Evaluation versions of beta releases, so I can't simply enable beta acess for you, sorry. If you can wait couple of weeks until the more stable 2.7 release - it would be great. You still can import your assets and try to make a basic logic with a help of tutorials avaialble here: https://developer.unigine.com/en/docs/2.6.1/start/programmer/

Thanks!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

Many thanks for the reply!

Am I correct in my understanding that Unigine isn’t the module component system of prefabs or blueprints that the other engines have?

the above is fine, just a new culture change to get my head around.

Matt.

Hi Matthew,

Am I correct in my understanding that Unigine isn’t the module component system of prefabs or blueprints that the other engines have?
There was a Schemer, analogue of the Blueprints, but now it was deleted. It needs to be rewritten because it's not as powerful as we would like.
Component System will be released in Unigine 2.7 SDK. But, C++ only. And it will not be a part of the engine at the moment. All source code will be available.

In 2.7 the workflow will be:
1) Create your C++ classes derived from ComponentBase. They have init() / update() / render() / on_enable() methods, public parameters and so on.
2) Register it in AppSystemLogic.cpp file, compile and run it once to create "property" files (*.prop) in your "data" folder
3) Assign created properties to some nodes (drag & drop) in the Editor (or via API)
4) So, from now, Component System starts to work like in another engines.

The Component System in our terminology is the connection between nodes, properties and C++ classes.

Best regards,
Alexander