[SOLVED] ObjectBillboards billboards are not visible sometimes

photo

We are trying to use ObjectBillboards to create a bunch of billboards around our scene.  the issue appears to be that the billboards are only visible when the ObjectBillboards object is visible to the camera.  Is there a way to make it so the billboards are culled on there own? or make it so that they are always visible? 

Thanks.

in this test scene I have an ObjectBillboards and then one child billboard 10 units to the right of it.

If i have the ObjectBillboards visible in the view you can see the child billboard, and as soon as the ObjectBillboards is out of the view the billboard goes away.  this is repeatable with more children.  

5a8356c49eb16_billboardvisible.thumb.png.82f4d2b52ebe51f25af572668f07adcf.png5a8356c06ee56_billboardnotvisible.thumb.png.e636da105a00b1fd6df6bc76bd5dba03.png

Hello dred,

Thank you for your feedback, we have added this issue to our internal bugtracker and will fix it in our future releases. Despite that billboard are culled incorrectly during editing, after saving and reloading world, all of billboards shoud be rendered correctly.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused

We actually add them via the C++ api each time the game is ran and the behavior is the same as when you add them in the editor.  so unfortunately saving and reloading the world doesn't work in our case.

Thanks for the reply.

I just finished a workaround, so not overly critical.  I move the ObjectBillboards in front of the main camera every tick and then move each of the billboards to place them back where they should be.  I'm sure its not as efficient as it could be, but its working for us for now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah, it's what I mentioned on the last ticket. The bounding box responsible for culling terrain no longer seems to be updated from its initial zero-sized-at-origin value, so we don't see any terrain when the origin isn't on-screen. So I wondered if there might be a connection to the bug mentioned here.

Sending the required files is fine, we already patch and recompile the engine to deal with a few other issues. (In fact I've temporarily added update_world_position() into Node::preRender() to fix this bug, but obviously we'd rather have the right fix - the one that will end up integrated into 2.7)

Edited by Greg.Mildenhall

Greg,

Actually we've fixed this by adding multiple update_world_position() calls in the some billboards methods, so you did it right :)

There are methods that affected:

• void ObjectBillboards::clearBillboards()
  • void ObjectBillboards::allocateBillboards(int num)
  • void ObjectBillboards::allocateBillboards(int num)
  • int ObjectBillboards::addBillboard(float width, float height)
  • int ObjectBillboards::getNumBillboards() const
  • const vec3 &ObjectBillboards::getBillboardPosition(int num) const
  • float ObjectBillboards::getWidth(int num) const

Thanks!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

• silent changed the title to [SOLVED] ObjectBillboards billboards are not visible sometimes