LOD settings

photo

Hello,

I would like to make some suggestions about the configuration of LOD settings.

Currently, you specify the distance to a surface or node.

Min visibility [dist] Min Fade[dist]
Max visibility [dist] Max Fade[dist]

While this is relevant, most of the time we need to change LOD because of some mesh details size *on screen*, not actually because of its distance to the observer.

So I would suggest to add the possibility to set a detail size for a surface. If this detail size  would occupy more than one pixel on screen, then the LOD would be activated.

( ) Distance based
    Min visibility [dist] Min Fade[dist]
    Max visibility [dist] Max Fade[dist]

(o) Size based
    Min detail size [size] Min Fade[size]
    Max detail size [size] Max Fade[size]

This setting would have the added benefit of being resolution independent for the end user and easier to understand ("size" is really the size of the appearing details). Also, this would behave correctly when switching from an eye field of view (60°) to a long range camera with a very narrow fov (4°).

The same behavior could be used for terrain mesh and layers of course.

Thanks for your support. 

Hello!

It's a good idea! Currently we're stick to visibility distance model due to migration issues. Switching to size on screen model will make all our projects irrelevant.

Of course, this could be discussable and I will post feature request in our tracker.

Thank you for feedback!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

• 2 weeks later...
On 6. 2. 2018 at 6:35 AM, morbid said:

Hello!

It's a good idea! Currently we're stick to visibility distance model due to migration issues. Switching to size on screen model will make all our projects irrelevant.

Of course, this could be discussable and I will post feature request in our tracker.

Thank you for feedback!

There is no need to switch, this can be second LOD option. In various editors I see both options and you can choose, what suits you better.