UI Editor small improvments

photo

Hello, here are a few UI improvements suggestions:

- Possibility to lock a node X,Y,Z and rotation, scale. This would prevent us from inadvertantly move a node. More than once, while I was moving an object over the terrain, I released the mouse and picked the terrain instead of the object. This leads to frustration and workflow interruption. Continuing with this idea, it would be nice if the terrain was created immovable by default.

-In the asset browser, provide some kind of visual sort (by name, by extension, by resolution, by type of texture - normal, rgba, ...) and a search/filter box by name (oh please!)

-in the asset browser, add a detailled view listing of assets (just like in Windows File Explorer), so we can view all info at once instead of having to select them one by one

- in the asset browser, would be nice to have some user defined convention to overlay a user defined icon depending on the file name: e.g. all "*albedo*" would get the same icon badge.

-in World Browser, possibility to set the color of the icon, instead of everything being grey. Great to highlight the few items you work with in the forest of all items !

Hi,
I'm agree with Amerio, specially the assets browser suggestions. Not too complicated to implement  but a productivity boost.

Aditionally, sometimes console messages are difficult to read because it doesn't respect line breaks and many message appears concatenated. A quick solution could be to add a button in console tab to launch system web browser with log file.

Thanks.

Two more suggestions:

• An important missed feature is the field to filter surfaces by name.
  • Visual handlers to manage Navigation Sector area like it's done for node physics shapes.

Thanks.

Hello, here are a few new suggestions:

-quick refocusing on any 3d pixel displayed on screen. Example: double-click on a pixel of a terrain, and the camera is warped to focus on it. Currently, I must create a dummy on the terrain, then click F to focus, then delete it. Would be very handy to clicky navigate a wide array :)

-click-and-drag in numerical text fields, to increase/decrease the value (just like in Blender for example)

-add a 4th moving speed (great for very large terrain...)

-make the "TerrainGlobal/Details/list of detail layers" resizeable. It's currently a pain to navigate when there is more than a few layers. (BTW, how many layers is too much layers?)

Thanks 

Edited by Amerio.Stephane

Hello,

thanks again for feedback! I've added everything to our tracker.

Glad to say that we have plans to redesign TerrainGlobal parameters window. 

16 hours ago, Amerio.Stephane said:

how many layers is too much layers?

Well, it depends. In our latest project we had 11 detail layers.

16 hours ago, Amerio.Stephane said:

add a 4th moving speed (great for very large terrain...)

Have you tried tweaking speed for each step? Or you need an extra 4th step for some reason?
You can set 3rd one to desired value and use 1st and 2nd at close ranges.

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 06/12/2017 at 6:08 AM, morbid said:
On 05/12/2017 at 2:27 PM, Amerio.Stephane said:

add a 4th moving speed (great for very large terrain...)

Have you tried tweaking speed for each step? Or you need an extra 4th step for some reason?
You can set 3rd one to desired value and use 1st and 2nd at close ranges.

Hello, yes my actual settings currently are #1=10, #2=500, #3=5000. I need a very large value because my terrain is so large (>>200km), and a small value because I must look at some specific small elements too. Ideally, the boost shift key could also be configurable (say, *10 instead of *2?). To alleviate this, the ability to double click on a point on an object/terrain to warp toward it would also be great.

Thank you :)

On 5. 12. 2017 at 2:27 PM, Amerio.Stephane said:

-make the "TerrainGlobal/Details/list of detail layers" resizeable. It's currently a pain to navigate when there is more than a few layers. (BTW, how many layers is too much layers?)

Agree, we have 22 layers and this would help.

Hi guys,

-make the "TerrainGlobal/Details/list of detail layers" resizeable

Yes, it's real pain in the neck. I'll forward this with higher priority to our editor team.

Speaking of other UI improvements, yes we working on it. It requires extra time for our team, but we'll try to implement most desired features.

Thanks!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

Have toggle button for set link between Materials and Properties view and Asset Browser.

Case: link textures to materials from Asset browser, when i done one select another material and selected folder in Asset browser is changed, so i must again find my folder that contain textures.