Shadows don't respect viewport masks

photo

We use planar reflections in our simulation. As our nodes can get pretty complex, we use a simplified representation (practically just a lower lod) for our reflections, which uses the viewport masks to achieve this feat.

Since our upgrade to 2.5 (from 2.2.1), the shadows of the reflected object don't seem to respect the viewport mask any longer. I've created a minimal test scene to demonstrate the issue.

I've tried figuring out from the engine source what has exactly changed to cause this change in behavior, but failed to find anything so far.

Could you help resolve or work around this issue?

Regards,

Michel

reflection_shadow.zip

Hi Michel,

If I understand you correctly, this is currently expected behavior. Accroding the documentation on planar reflections:

shadows of the object will be shown even if the object won't be reflected due to reflection distance parameter. That happens because planar reflections re-use the shadows which was rendered for the real camera

So, it should not cause any performance drop.

Thanks!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

Hi, 

My problem is unrelated to the reflection distance. My problem is with the viewport mask. If the planar reflection reuses the shadows from the "real" camera, they still shouldn't be there because they should be masked out there.

Please look at my test scene and read my post.

Regards,

Michel

Hi Michel,

I've checked your test scene. Viewpoer masks are not disabling shadows - this is correct behavior (it's useful when you need to use special LOD for shadows, but you don't want to see it). In your case you need to additionally disable Cast world shadows checkbox from the surfaces that you don't want to cast shadows.

Thanks!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads: