mesh blend

photo

This is starting to be quite common feature. To be able to blend two meshes, especially rocks to terrain transition. With this you can create seamles transition between terrain texture and mesh rock. Or you can take any two meshes and intesection is blended, so it looks like one mesh. I really increases visual quality of terrain scenes:

K60cY8x.jpg

Edited by demostenes

I think this could be workarounded by vertex painting. Which is also missing feature :) Vertex paint in engine, or in modelling tool what part of rock will blend and map texture with world coordinates on it. This method would be not usable for clutters (unless rock is vertex painted in modelling tool and not rotated).

• 3 weeks later...

I was thinking how such blend could be achieved. I think it does not need support from terrain object. It should be enough to be able to sample landscape normal map in world space in rock material and blend that with the rock's normals (also in world space).

Question is, how to make transition material fully procedural (manual way can be vertex painting). First we need to detect intersection with terrain. How is Unigine AO implemented? Is there some distance field? In such case it would be possible to get distance to nearest surface from this field. Than combine with some noice to get mask and after that adjust vertex normals of the mesh.

Edited by demostenes

Seems very useful for accurate trenches/craters/caves/cliffs placing. Right now, some kind of visual blending can be achieved via decalOrtho - but this feauture will be much better.