Problem "mixing" class inheritance in C++ plugin and Unigine Script

photo

Hi,

I am currently trying to export some classes from my C++ plugin to UnigineScript, inherit a class in UnigineScript and set it as variable in one of their base class. The C++ classes are defined as following:

class Task
{
protected:

Task* parent;												//pointer to the parent of this task

virtual int addChildToTask(Task* newChild) { return 0; };

public:

Task();
	~Task();

virtual int addChild(Task* newChild)						//adds an Child to this task
	{
		addChildToTask(newChild);
	}

};

class Sequence : public Task
{
protected:

vector<Task*> children;

virtual int addChildToTask(Task* newChild)
	{
		children.push_back(newChild);
	}

};

class LeafTask : public Task
{
public:

virtual void executeLeafTask();
};

I exported all classes using "MakeExternClass" without any problems. In Unigine I inherit the LeafClass and tried to use my external classes:

class CustomLeafTask : public LeafTask
{
	(...)

public:

void executeLeafTask();

};

(...)
//later in an world file:
init()
{		
	CustomLeafTask myLeaf = new CustomLeafTask();

Sequence innerSequence = new Sequence();
	innerSequence.addChild(CustomLeafTask::cast(myLeaf.extern));		//use ::cast and .extern to use Unigine-Script class in extern plugin class - OK!

Sequence outerSequence = new Sequence();
	outerSequence.addChild(innerSequence);					//crash "can't convert extern class to class Task* __ptr64"
}

The error occurs only, if I used the derived class I declared in UnigineScript. If I used the standard "Leaf-Class" the problem never appears. Using ::cast or .extern for the innerSequence aren't allowed because it is not defined. Is this behavior intended and are there any solutions for that?

Thanks in advance!

Christian

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Christian!

It seems like a bug to me. Could you please show the export part of your code? Are you sure you don't forget to call interpreter->addBaseClass for all derived C++ classes?

On 17.7.2017 at 0:24 PM, unclebob said:

Are you sure you don't forget to call interpreter->addBaseClass for all derived C++ classes?

Hi Bob,

actually not, because there aren't any hints in the documentation. :) I will try to implement that, can you please describe me how and when do I have to you use the addBaseClass()? Only if I use the function of the derived class without overwriting them or every time I derived a class from a base one regardeless of their use of a specific function?

Hi Christian!

It's quite simple. Here's code sample:

// C++ part
class A {
public:
	virtual void baseMethod() const { Unigine::Log::message("A::baseMethod\n"); }
};

class B : public A {
public:
	void baseMethod() const override { Unigine::Log::message("B::baseMethod\n"); }
	void derivedMethod() const { Unigine::Log::message("B::derivedMethod\n"); }
};

void extendInterpreter() {
	auto a_class = Unigine::MakeExternClass<A>();
	a_class->addConstructor();
	a_class->addFunction("baseMethod", &A::baseMethod);

auto b_class = Unigine::MakeExternClass<B>();
	b_class->addConstructor();
	b_class->addFunction("derivedMethod", &B::derivedMethod);
	b_class->addBaseClass(a_class);

Unigine::Interpreter::addExternClass("A", a_class);
	Unigine::Interpreter::addExternClass("B", b_class);
}

// UnigineScript part
int init() {
	A foo = new A();
	foo.baseMethod();
	log.message("--\n");

B bar = new B();
	bar.baseMethod();
	bar.derivedMethod();
	log.message("--\n");

A baz = new B();
	baz.baseMethod();
	B(baz).derivedMethod();
	log.message("--\n");

B qux = baz;
	qux.baseMethod();
	qux.derivedMethod();
	log.message("--\n");

return 1;
}

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Bob,

sorry for my late reply. Indeed, your solution works for me, so thank you for that. Now, I am struggeling adding an UnigineScript-class I derived, to my C++ class. In my upper example I use the following function, which I exported it to UnigineScript:

virtual int addChildToTask(Task* newChild)
{
	children.push_back(newChild);
}

In my UnigineScript I used the function:

innerSequence.addChild(CustomLeafTask::cast(myLeaf.extern));	//use ::cast and .extern to use Unigine-Script class in extern plugin class - OK!

Unfortunately, the given (derived) task is always NULL if I add a Log-line in my C++ function (befor children.push_back()).

• 2 months later...

Hi,

are there any update to this? I added a short sample project to this post. Simply, create A as base class, Class B and C inherit from A. B has a vector, where I want to add childs as A class. The .dll file is imported as a plugin module to a sample project. I inherit a new class D in UnigineScript from C class. After that I want to add this class new D class to a B class. Even if I use the .extern classifier, the inherited object is NULL.

inheritance_example.rar

Edited by christian.wolf2

Hi Christian,

You have to call ancestor constructor in inherited class.

Example:

class D : C
{
public:

D() : C() {}

~D() {}
};

For details see this : https://developer.unigine.com/en/docs/2.5/code/uniginescript/language/oop#inheritance_c

But there is some problems. This way of constructor definition doesn't work:

void D::__D__() : C() 
{
}

We will try to improve script behavior in this case, but for now it will work only that way.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi moroz,

thanks for the detailed feedback. I need indeed the improvement for the script behavior. So thanks for adding that. Do you already know, when it will be released?

Hi silent,

thanks for the info. Do you know if of there are any workaround? I am currently working on a plugin where the user needs to be able to extend the classes I exported from C++. I'm not getting confident with the idea of adapt the system completely as UnigineScript. (I can P.M. you if you want to have more details about it)

Thanks a lot anyway

Christian