terrain mask export crash

photo

Hi,

I'm afraid, we can't reproduce such behavior, so could you, please, do the following:

1. Check such behavior on terrain from samples

2. If samples works correctly send us the following:

- Unigine log file of the crash in project

- callstack, if possible

- terrain from your project, if possible

3. If samples also provide crash, the following information would be helpful:

- Unigine log file of the crash in project

- additional information about your hardware from dxdiag 

- callstack, if possible

We are also experiencing weird terrain export behavior in both versions 2.2.1 and 2.3.1. I have attached a word document with a bunch of data on the file formats and sizes we are using and where the problems start to arise.

To summarize: New world from unigine browser with all defaults paths.

-Created a new 1x1 terrain with a size of 8192 and all default paths.

-Refined size = 8192x8182, course size = 2048 and detail texture arrays size = 2048 with 6 masks/materials.

-Terrain parameters visible in node window do not match up with created assets at this point or parameters set in landscape plugin (seems to be visual bug only).

-Can export all terrain data correctly when refined sizes in terrain parameters are set to 128, 256 & 512.

-HOWEVER the editor crashes every time when trying to view a folder that contains the Masks exported at 512 but the image itself seems fine when viewed in a different program.

-Can only export Height and Holes when the refined size is set to 1024+, albedo, normal and masks all cause hard crashes when trying to export at this size.

Is there a reason only a subset of terrain export resolutions are working? Our artists would really appreciate this restriction being removed or an some clarification on intended workflow.

I can recreate this behavior in any of our current worlds and on any new worlds we try and create.

Landscape Import and Export notes for Unigine 2.3.1.rar

Hi all,

demostenes, I'm afraid we still can't reproduce your problem on the project you've sent.

My reproduction steps:
- get and unpack unigine_project.7z
- add it to Unigine SDK Browser
- run Editor, using "Edit Content" (directx11/opengl)
- fly across the terrain to load terrain textures (~ 942Mb in profiler)
- select Terrain_new_2 in Nodes
- click Nodes -> Export tab -> Mask: Export
- select Type: *.psd and write Name. Save the texture into data/ folder of the project
This way I've got 2k x 2k x 20 R8 texture. No crashes appear.

What should I change in reproduction steps to get the crash?
Please, check these steps with the project you've sent. If crash appears, dxgiag information may help to get to the root of the problem faster.

If the crash does not appear on a minimal test scene, I'm afraid, we need to check your full project.

tmorris, Thanks for the report and such detailed instructions. It's a problem with creating preview of 16k texture and problem in 32k texture creation, but I'm afraid it's an expected behavior.

If it's suitable for you, using Landscape plugin you may create several terrains (Increase Size X and Size Y values on Common tab of Landscape plugin) instead of the big one, so as a result, you can get several exported textures with the same level of detail, but the resolution of each texture will be lower.

More detailed information about Landscape plugin in docs here.

My reproduction steps:

- get and unpack unigine_project.7z

- add it to Unigine SDK Browser

- run Editor, using "Edit Content" (directx11/opengl)

- fly across the terrain to load terrain textures (~ 942Mb in profiler)

- select Terrain_new_2 in Nodes

- click Nodes -> Export tab -> Mask: Export

- select Type: *.psd and write Name. Save the texture into data/ folder of the project

This way I've got 2k x 2k x 20 R8 texture. No crashes appear.

What should I change in reproduction steps to get the crash?

Please, check these steps with the project you've sent. If crash appears, dxgiag information may help to get to the root of the problem faster.

My step were exactly the same, I ve used this minimalistic project in clean sdk, data/ folder for export, etc...i will try to find some crash information. Thanks for your help.

I ve found this in debug log:

Assertion failed: (unsigned int)layer < (unsigned int)num_layers && "Image::getPixels2DArray(): bad layer number", file engine\framework\Image.cpp, line 6072

Dxdiag in attachement.

DxDiag.txt

Hi,

As for error message, it may be caused by wrong array size/format or wrong format of the mask texture.

So, please, could you try to check the following:

- correct size and format of array textures

- refined and coarse mask textures are correct: 3D textures, number of layers is equal to number of materials

- there are no textures with the same as current terrain's mask/array texture names in data/ folder and in additional data_path folders

Thanks for the information, we're still investigating the issue.

Hi,

As for error message, it may be caused by wrong array size/format or wrong format of the mask texture.

So, please, could you try to check the following:
 - correct size and format of array textures
 - refined and coarse mask textures are correct: 3D textures, number of layers is equal to number of materials
 - there are no textures with the same as current terrain's mask/array texture names in data/ folder and in additional data_path folders

Thanks for the information, we're still investigating the issue.

Thanks for help, I have this log from scene I ve sent you. There shouldnt be any issues you mentioned.

Hi,

Thanks for your detailed information.

We've reproduced the crash and added it to our internal bug tracker.
In our test farm the crash appears on Nvidia GTX 400 Graphics series only, so you may try to upgrade your graphic card as a workaround, if it's suitable.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Hi,

Thanks for your detailed information.

We've reproduced the crash and added it to our internal bug tracker.
In our test farm the crash appears on Nvidia GTX 400 Graphics series only, so you may try to upgrade your graphic card as a workaround, if it's suitable.

Yes, thats it, I have gf470. Reason why I am using it is simple, it is slow, so it forces me to optimize :) But good to know, that it should be ok anywhere else. Thanks for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I've the same problem on GTX 1080. It's been tested yesterday. Same version of Unigine that @demostenes has.

R.

Hi radek,

I'm afraid we can't reproduce this problem on our GTX 1070 card. This issue is still active in our internal bug tracker, so we'll inform you in case of any changes.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hi,

I'm afraid, we still can't get a stable reproduction for these crashes on your scene. 

If it possible to get the other scene, where the crash appears, it would be helpful.

Currently, we can't give any ETA for the fix.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so again. I ve exported our terrain into clean unigine 2.4.1 project. Flew over terrain to load all masks, selected export, psd type, put name and crash...

debug: Assertion failed: (unsigned int)layer < (unsigned int)num_layers && "Image::getPixels2DArray(): bad layer number", file engine\framework\Image.cpp, line 7266

I ve uploaded whole project to your ftp as unigine_project.7z

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jirka,

Thank you for the updated test scene! 

This crash is not related to GPU (as we can understand from the callstack). With your new terrain indeed we can reproduce this behavior easily.

I will try to raise priority for the old terrain bug, but can't guarantee that it will be fixed in 2.5 or 2.6 SDK update, sorry.

Thank you for the updated test scene! 

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads: