Problem migrating large node file from 2.2.1 to 2.3

photo

We're attempting to convert all of our content over to 2.3 and there is one file that we seem completely incapable of converting and the log gives us no message whatsoever as to what the trouble is. In fact, the log never has a closing body or html tag when this file is converted, the process simply stops while migrating that particular file.

I've uploaded the file to your FTP server, it's "Landscape.node"

Also is the migration script described here (https://developer.unigine.com/en/docs/2.3/tools/upgrade/) going to return? Since we do not currently use the SDK browser for our project, we are creating an empty project, move files to it, and then upgrading that project. There are obviously lots of problems with this method and we would like to be able to convert particular files or folders with a command-line interface

Hi Taylor,

You can manually upgrade your project. Upgrade scripts are located in the same place where they were before: <SDK>/utils/Upgrade directory. You can copy contents of this folder into your project and run usc_x64.exe upgrade.usc.

We will also check your large node and see how we can fix upgrade scripts.

Thanks!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

Hi Taylor,

We've found the problem, but we need to at least check how this terrain is rendered in 2.2.1. Could you please upload a small project with 2.2.1 with all terrain textures. We will try to migrate it correctly. Otherwise, I'm afraid we can't guarantee that it will look the same after migration.

Thanks!

---

Hi,

We're trying to pull together a sample scene with the terrain but have run into an issue with the SDK browser. With 2.2.1 and 2.3 installed, I am unable to run the editor for any new 2.2.1 projects, including using the "Edit Content" button in the browser itself.

The "Can't connect to SDK Browser." message never goes away and so we are completely unable to use the editor. I have confirmed this issue with one on-site developer and another off-site. Is there a known issue with the browser?

Sorry! You can disregard that message. I wasn't aware of the 2.2.1-2 patch fixing that SDK browser thing. I am still working on putting together the sample world (as you can imagine, it is quite complicated!) but would you mind uploading the converted Landscape.node that you have so we can see how it looks here?

Also in case this helps, I am also starting an upload of an attempt to put together the sample world. This has all of the terrain detal textures used by the landscape in case you can make it work. It is called 'SampleTestWorld.zip' and should finish in about a half hour

Hi Taylor,

I've got feedback from the dev team.

The bad news is: we still don't know how to migrate your current terrain to the new system. The good news - you can migrate terrain if you will reorganize your terrain materials.

Migration procedure that we are doing right now in 2.3 is expecting that every child material will have only single parent. Old terrain editor UI allows you to create various set of materials (unfortunately, including very rare case where you can set material that will have more than 1 parent). We can't guarantee correct rendering of such materials with multiple parents even in 2.2.1.

In your terrain, there are at least two materials with more than 1 parent (I've checked only first archive that you sent):

• Large Flow Gravel -> 1st parent: Mud -> 2nd parent: Sand1
  • Dirt2 -> 1st: parent: Mud -> 2nd parent: Sand1

You will need to reorganize these materials and left only one parent material.

Important: All material masks should be reimported to regenerate index textures.

Important: Newly created child should not have their own material masks.

We are deeply sorry for the inconvenience caused.

---

Hi Taylor,

More details coming. Automation migration is not possible due to 2.2.x terrains structure.

After inspecting your materials we can suggest you to modify your landscape materials structure as following (warning: all manual terrain edits will be lost!):

2.2.1 terrain structure (undefined behavior):
Mask 0: Sand1
	|--- Mask 6: Mud
		  |--- No Mask: Large Flow Gravel
		  |--- Mask 4: Dirt2

Mud and Dirt2 materials should be cloned and slightly rearranged:

Mask 0: Sand1
	|--- No Mask: Mud

Mask 6: Mud - clone
	|--- No Mask: Large Flow Gravel
	|--- No Mask: Dirt2

Mask 4: Dirt2 - clone

After that you will need to reimport all the 16 material masks to regenerate index textures.

After import process is done you can now safely upgrade your project to 2.3 version. New structure after upgrade should look like this:

2.3 Terrain structure:
Mask 0: Layer 0:
	Sand1
	Mud
Mask 6: Layer 1:
	Mud - clone
	Large Flow Gravel
	Dirt2
Mask 4: Layer 2:
	Dirt2 - clone

Thanks!