Generating a roadsystem in 2.2.1

photo

Hea,

At this moment we are trying to generate a usable road system that is acceptable enough to drive on in first person view.

We are running into issues regarding aligning the roads to the terrain in regards of height. Currently we have a few different approaches that each have their pro's

and con's. I would love to hear your input in the matter. Is there something we overlooked, assumed incorrectly, or some other neat tricks to achieve the desired results.

Method 1:

Gather all the data in CityEngine and export all the models including the terrain geometry from CityEngine itself.

-This has obvious setbacks as your terrain mesh will be one huge static bonanza of triangles and the detail of the terrain will likely suffer as well.

-The pro however is that the roads will align perfectly to it in regards of height.

Method 2: 

Roads will get their height from CityEngine. Terrain is generated in Unigine from GeoTIFF files.

-The setback here is it will have to align perfectly. Admittedly we have not tested this yet. I feel there are alot of variables that could mess up the height between CityEngine and the terrain in Unigine

-The pro here is that if this works out, it will pretty much the perfect scenario in regards of usability.

Method 3:

All roads will be projected as decals on the terrain that is generated in Unigine.

-Setback is the detail of the roads, basically they will not be usable as there will be no sidewalks and might have unnoticed humps and bumbs.

-The pro is that is quite quick and the terrain is still perfectly usable.

I'm aware there is work being done on the roadsystem that will be implemented in the future. Is there any indication of when this will become usable (in release or even beta?) and more importantly,

am I correct to assume that the roadsystem will be a great tool in our workflow?

Hi Rene,

It's highly depends on your usage of roads. For Port Angeles demo we used mesh decals as fastest way to get a good looking roads from a small height. For your use-case I think the best solution will be to use meshes for roads (they also should be faster then decals from rendering point of view).

Thanks!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads: