How to fix can't inherit material into the parent library

photo

Hi, this is our scenario.

We share a common materials file between worlds, called world/iceMaterials.mat

We load world A using the console command.

We load world B using the console command.

We inherit from one of the materials defined in world/iceMaterials.mat.

We get this output:

15:13:38 MaterialManager::inheritMaterial(): can't inherit material into the parent library
15:13:38 Object::setMaterial(): can't find "ice_matte_0" material

We are creating a new material called "ice_matte_0" based off material "ice_matte"

If we load world B directly without loading world A first, it works just fine.

Any ideas? 

Thanks

Hi Joseph,

Please take a look at the material libraries article: https://developer.unigine.com/en/docs/2.2.1/content/materials/inheritance. The important part is described in Loading order for material libraries scheme. More likely you have wrong material libraries order during the world init.

If this doesn't help - we need to check a small test scene to get the idea which library is loading first and what exactly is going on in your materials code.

Thanks!

• Like 1

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

I have a work-around fix for this.

After loading the first world, I inherit a material.  Then after the second world load, it no longer exhibits the problem above.  From your description, I *think* what's happening is that inheriting at least one material causes the base materials to stick around, then they won't reload the second time and thus get out of order.

Thanks.

• 2 months later...

wow.... i just typed 'can't' and by mistake i hit enter and straight on got me to the answer of my problem, where a parent material library couldn't be found, just a matter of changing the order of loading in the .world file.... talk about luck.... Silent you are a god....!!! :D