Lakes

photo

Hi all

I have an issue with creating lakes in Unigine.

Depending on the view angle, the water act quite wierd.

When I look at the water from above, the water itsself is not visible at all and I can't find anything to tune this accordingly.

What is the correct approach to make a lake?

post-1904-0-22672100-1464958812_thumb.jpg

post-1904-0-51632100-1464958819_thumb.jpg

Hi Andrey

Please create a new project with the name "Phil_Playground" and copy the attached files into it. You will find a custom made lake which reacts correctly. And another one which has bizarre boundaries and disappears while flying over it.

Thanks,

Phil & Renato

Phil_Playground.zip

I ve noticed, that since upgrade to 2.2 lakes are behaving in totally different way. Our settings are useless, it must be tweaked again. But so far I had no time to play with it. Some sample would be handy.

When I switch on the planar reflections for the water material only half of the lake reflects.

And as soon as I move the camera to the reflecting side of the lake, the reflections are gone everywhere.

Objects which should reflect on the water (ridgeline of the island) are not reflected at all.

Reflection mask set to 1 and surface viewport mask of the reflecting object set to 1.

Am I missing something?

post-1904-0-22012200-1465215254_thumb.jpg

post-1904-0-36725300-1465215261_thumb.jpg

post-1904-0-14925300-1465215270_thumb.jpg

Hi,

We can't reproduce your issue on our content, sorry.

Unfortunately, scene you sent us contains external links onto the meshes, so we cant open world properly, ex: "../../../Blender/ELITE/Water_Test/meshes/Landscape.mesh"

Please copy all necessary meshes into <Project_dir>/meshes and reattach project again.

Thanks!

Unfortunately, project still contains two external link onto the meshes. There is:

• "../../../Blender/ELITE/Water_Test/meshes/Plane.mesh" used in "new_lake_pivot_centered" ;
  • "../../OneTileWashington/data/washington/meshes/washington_lakes_x00_y05.mesh" - used in "lake_geo_referenced"

Please, send us these meshes too.

Thanks!

Thank you for the test scene.

I've successfully reproduced the issue and added ticket to our internal bug tracker.

There is a problem with pivot offset and Water Mesh.

As a workaround, you can center pivot to source mesh and use this mesh as reference in WaterMesh.

Many thanks for your answer, grmmvv.

I don't understand your workaround yet, but I try to sort it out.

I will ask again if i can't

Phil

Hi all

I have another question regarding the WaterMeshObject.

According the Docs, a WaterMeshObject "consist of 2 surfaces approximating optical and dynamic behavior of water":

- surface

- volume

When I create a WaterMeshObject there is no volume surface at all.

How is this volume surface created?

Many thanks for your answer, grmmvv.

I don't understand your workaround yet, but I try to sort it out.

I will ask again if i can't

Phil

When you create reference for Water Mesh in any 3D Editor, you need to set pivot of an object at the geometric center of your object.

Hi all

I have another question regarding the WaterMeshObject.

According the Docs, a WaterMeshObject "consist of 2 surfaces approximating optical and dynamic behavior of water":

- surface

- volume

When I create a WaterMeshObject there is no volume surface at all.

How is this volume surface created?

Unfortunately, article about Water Mesh is a little bit outdated and will be fixed with the next SDK update.

There is no way to create volume surface for WaterMesh. Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

• 1 month later...

Hi there

Do you have a solution for the water masks as used in PortAngeles. Since the above workaround suits only single lakes.

Kind regards,

Renato

Hi Silent

We have a lake mask for all tiles in our landscape. With the 2.2.1-2 we observe the above described problem, that the water is not shown from above. With the mentioned work around is was possible to get rid of this phenomen in our testbed.

Thank you for the test scene.

I've successfully reproduced the issue and added ticket to our internal bug tracker.

There is a problem with pivot offset and Water Mesh.

As a workaround, you can center pivot to source mesh and use this mesh as reference in WaterMesh.

The work around was to center the pivot to the source mesh, but since we a mask which generates multiple meshes distributed in the tile, we can't center the pivot to the source mesh anymore.

Kind regards,

Renato

Hi all,

Fix for this issue is already available in 2.3-beta2 SDK release.

Please, check it and report us back if you still have any problem with lakes.

Thanks!