handeling big messy, scan and photogrammetry data.

photo

This is kind of an addendum to the survey,
We are looking at jobs which involve a lot of scan data that needs to be handled efficienciently we would like a way to handle thing without having to do a large amount of preprocessing of this data if at all possible.

I think this is very much related to your content pipeline.

There are multiple tools that will aid greatly in reducing the polygon/cleanup edgeflow/re-uvw map etc.

This is a mesh that went through our whole (rudimentary test!) pipeline for photogrammetry:

kRWp6TK.jpg

This example is in no way perfect, but it shows what a little clean up work can accomplish for your scanned models. 

Hi Danni,

Could you please elaborate this - what exactly do you want? Some detailed description would be very helpful :)

I was being intentionally vague :) to allow other ideas on how to achieve the effect.

What I was specifically asked about to ask was for automatic polygon reduction on distant objects. We are talking about handling datasets where the amount of work to manually create LODs is prohibitive even if that results in some loss of quality. There might be other solutions that involve rendering point clouds for distant objects if they can be lit convincingly.

• 4 weeks later...

What I was specifically asked about to ask was for automatic polygon reduction on distant objects. We are talking about handling datasets where the amount of work to manually create LODs is prohibitive even if that results in some loss of quality. 

Why manually? There are tools like Simplygon (industry standard), which can do some autodecimations and you can run them from comannd line for thousands of meshes. And result will be always better than some real time in-engine decimation.