move + duplication strange behaviour

photo

We are experiencing strange behavior while using transformation tools and object duplication together(shift + move for example). Take a look at the captured video at http://take.ms/hiS7G
It happens when you change the rotation of object and the Local pivot Z axis is parallel with the X axis of World pivot(rotation of object along Y axis by 90 degrees).

1) Take some node from your library
2) Rotate it along the World Y axis by 90 degree. Make sure that the Local pivot Z axis is parallel with World X axis
3) Duplicate object
4) Add first object to selection
5) Duplicate + move (shift + move) object somewhere

You can see in the node information tool (I) that the coordinates of "center" are changing. For some type of nodes it is really small number and the problem is not noticeable at the first sight.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello,

I think that we have similar problem again. Pls take a look at this video: https://youtu.be/UfZjcar-jH4

Reproduction steps:

1) Switch to local coordinate system

2) Import some node (or create primitive)

3)

a ) Rotate it -90 deg (counter clockwise)

b ) Rotate it 90 deg (clockwise)

4)

a ) Duplicate + move (shift+move and hold the LMB for some time) in X direction (positive or negative)

b ) Duplicate + move (shift+move and hold the LMB for some time) in Y direction (positive or negative)

Hi,

Thank you for detailed description, but unfortunately I can't reproduce this issue.

So we need some additional information about this problem:
    * at the video, I see lag when you making clone of the node. Is this engine lag or this is video problem?
    * you wrote that this issue can reproduce on engine primitive, but I need some clarifying:  did you had any physics at NodeReference from video?
    * which precision of binaries did you use: double or float?
    * can you reproduce this issue on minimal test scene (new world and one node)? Or this problem appears only in heavy worlds with a complex hierarchy?

Hi,

* at the video, I see lag when you making clone of the node. Is this engine lag or this is video problem?

This lag is in editor. Heavy scene, but not all the objects are loaded and visible at the time. Video is ok (except the badly set bitrate for 1080p60)

* you wrote that this issue can reproduce on engine primitive, but I need some clarifying:  did you had any physics at NodeReference from video?

No, these referenced nodes are just a MeshStaticObjects with several surfaces and without any physics.

* which precision of binaries did you use: double or float?

float

* can you reproduce this issue on minimal test scene (new world and one node)? Or this problem appears only in heavy worlds with a complex hierarchy?

I've tried to reproduce it on minimal test scene right know and the problem did not appears.

On small scene with ~200 objects(static) is the problem barely visible, if I look under the cursor, I can see that the position is incrementing/decrementing by 0.001.

On heavy scene, like the one in video, it's noticeable immediately.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Jirka,

Are still having this in 2.4.1? We can' reproduce it on a simple scene like pbr_materialballs when we move all the objects at (x: 5000, y: 5000, z: 500). Also, could you please specify the pivot point and coordinate system for such objects?

Are you using double precision builds for your large areas? Float precision binaries can give you unpredictable results on large distances, but we still can't reproduce it even for float binaries.

Thanks!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

We are using float and not big distances. The biggest possible distance is 12000 (terrain size is 12k*12k), but mostly it is between 2000-10000. I think it depends on the number of objects in the scene. Now we have many thousands objects in the world. Most of it is in world layer node, but still some are loaded.

We had somehow a similar issue. It is some kind of calculation error, which can add up when you do transformations from different coordinate systems.