[SOLVED] Haze eliminates volumetric clouds

photo

Recently I've been working on a weather system for our game, but realized that I can't create a cloudy sky while also having distance fog. The haze feature that creates the atmospheric distortion effect eliminates the volumetric clouds. 

Here I have an overcast sky

post-1189-0-26789700-1463008603_thumb.jpg

and here's the same sky with the haze distance value lowered.

post-1189-0-15910900-1463008632_thumb.jpg

The clouds start disappearing around the same distance from the camera that the haze starts.

Here's a photo illustrating the kind of effect I need, where the mountain displays heavy atmopheric distortion, but the clouds are still clearly visible behind it.

post-1189-0-32170400-1463008763_thumb.jpg

I'm pretty sure this used to be possible before the last version. Is this a bug? Is there another way to achieve this effect?

Hi Ted,

Scattering will "cut" the objects that are located after the Max Distance. Therefore, it is recommended to keep in sync Max Distance of the scattering and camera's Far Clipping

The good example of scattering usage you can find in Portangeles demo.

Unfortunately, setting Max Distance lower then camera Far Clipping will always result in such artifacts (at least until the clouds object refactoring).

Thanks!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

• 10 months later...

Unfortunately, setting Max Distance lower then camera Far Clipping will always result in such artifacts (at least until the clouds object refactoring).

So the clouds object has been refactored in a recent Unigine release, but the haze still eliminates the clouds. Our haze's max distance and the camera's far clipping are the same value, but bringing up the density of the haze still removes clouds. Any area that has even a small amount of haze cannot have any clouds at all, which makes it look like there's a disc of cloud cover that follows the player around. Looks very wrong.

Haze is an important effect for visual quality, and with this bug still remaining almost a year later, we can't use it at all. Are there any plans to fix this yet?

• 11 months later...
  • silent changed the title to [SOLVED] Haze eliminates volumetric clouds