MMT demo update

photo

Two years age we released MMORPG demo that was rather proof of concept than real game. It used custom shaders, static lighting with baked shadows and lightmaps, a lot of custom features alike grass, vegetation system. grid-based occlusion, etc. It was shown on Moscow GDC 2009 and than development was suspended.

After two years we decided to upgrade the project to new engine. It lost a lot of performance, some features and static lighting mode, but now it uses vanilla shaders and have some new effects like SSAO and DOF. Port is 90% complete and development still in progress. There are no changes in assets or game mechanics planned except for minor texture updates. We are also going to release both Windows and Linux version in English and Russian languages.

Here is short walkthru movie with all engine features turned on:

We still have some issues with terrain and shadows but I'm sure we'll handle them.

P.S. Two-years old MMT screenshots on our site:

http://runserver.net/en/mmtgallery

Yes, it would be only a MMORPG demo. It's assets are of very low quality and it is not reasonable to make new game with them.

Just for example, I'm attaching a screen with comparision of our old 2009-year human model to new one developed for another project (no animation and photographic texture at the moment, 7k triangles)

post-26-0-31095600-1299659753_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You don't use UNIGINE ObjectGrass ?

No. That is custom billboard geometry with mesh_leaf_base material. It also have shadow, deferred and world light passes disabled.

No. That is custom billboard geometry with mesh_leaf_base material. It also have shadow, deferred and world light passes disabled.

What's the advantage of your custom approach compared to provided ObjectGrass ?

What's the advantage of your custom approach compared to provided ObjectGrass ?

My approach is way less flexible but much faster than Object Grass. I.e. with Object Grass you have to set very high density (resulting in low FPS even on modern hardware) to get something like that:

post-26-0-77442500-1301738478_thumb.png

I have about 50 fps in that scene with SSAO, DOF, AA 4x, 1680x1050 on NVidia 9600GT.

Just wanted to say that we won the contest. Many thanks to all of you who voted for our project!

I also created a page on IndieDB.com with lots of screenshots, videos and some concepts: http://www.indiedb.com/games/mmt

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Custom tree and grass shaders, deferred light mode (main light with back light), Mac OS X Lion, Radeon Mobile 5750, 1920x1200, dynamic reflection, DOF, occlusion, 30 fps:

00010.png

• 3 weeks later...

Nice artwork, so you use ObjectTerrain or regular meshes ?

Hand-painted ObjectTerrain. All textures are desaturated, so color information is obtained from terrain diffuse map. Also mask texture was edited in Photoshop to minimize overlapping/blending.

Very pretty, but 24 fps? And what fps will you get when you have more characters in view?

On this hardware (GF 9600FT) it would be almost the same - performance is low due to AO/DOF/HDR effects turned on among with FXAA, dynamic reflections and High shaders. Disabling all these features gives 2-3 times fps boost on this hardware. However more optimizations are needed for vegetation - LODs for leaves, distant tree billboards, etc.

How will the game look like with HDR, dynamic reflections and medium shaders only ? Also, why use dynamic reflections? Can't you bake cubemap from the location of the water surface (close to the shore)

Without AO and DOF game looks almost the same. After solving fillrate issues (too high density of leaves and foilage due to absense of tree-billboards) we are expecting performance up to ~60 fps in medium profile (HDR + reflections + FXAA, medium shaders) and more than 70 fps in low profile (no effects, low shaders, static reflection) in 1280x800 mode on GF 9600GT. On higher resolutions and fillrate-bound scenes that card gives almost equal fps regardless of settings (up to 35 fps with low profile and lakeside scene and 1600x900).

Here are comparision screenshots for medium and low profiles in waterfall scene (no fillrate issues here):

post-26-0-42397500-1328895937_thumb.jpg (medium)

post-26-0-26603000-1328895973_thumb.jpg (low)

Static reflections at the moment look way too unnatural, that's why I've proposed to implement simple 'mirror' reflection shader some time ago: https://developer.un...r-optimization/

Yeah, still looking good! And since your game doesn't appear to be fast paced, even 35 fps with all the beauty turned on would be amazing.

How many people are working on the game?

Yeah, still looking good! And since your game doesn't appear to be fast paced, even 35 fps with all the beauty turned on would be amazing.

How many people are working on the game?

two programmers + two artists (junior and senior) + animator (Indian outsourcer guy from ELance site). Unfortunatelly, we didnt'ge get a funding that we expected, so we work in our spare time and with mostly own funding. That results in very low performance and lack of content..