[SOLVED] Regional ambient sounds how to

photo

I would like to put ambient sounds for various regions of continent. For example shore, various forests, cities, whatever, but always very iregular areas. Placing of thousands of sound sources is nonsense, so I was thinking about using clutter like masks for defining the area for each ambient sound. Somehow recycle clutter visiblity checks seems like right way to go. Is there any better way? What is recommended approach? Thanks.

Hi there, Jirka!

I think that placing a lot of 3d SoundSource nodes might be not a good idea, because you'll have to keep them all in sync as well as mix them properly. It's better to use a bunch of 2d AmbientSound instances instead and control their gain with the mask. The downside of that approach is that you have to do that from the code as there's no way to create an ambient source from the editor. Also, panorama won't be perfect but for most of the cases it's acceptable.

We took that approach in Valley: we had a few properties that describe "zones" in terms of clutter mask, links to ambient 2d sounds (long loops like wind, rain, ambience, etc.) and additional 3d sounds (random stuff like birds twittering).

We took that approach in Valley: we had a few properties that describe "zones" in terms of clutter mask, links to ambient 2d sounds (long loops like wind, rain, ambience, etc.) and additional 3d sounds (random stuff like birds twittering).

Thanks for hint, we will check valley code.

Btw, ability to control ambient sounds frome editor, assigning masks, etc would be nice feature.

• 3 weeks later...