[SOLVED] Draw lines faster

photo

Hi, this is similar to my other thread.  In that thread I was asking about how to draw lines faster, but that part of my questioning was ignored and then the topic was marked as solved so I decided to move this to a new thread.

We are reading in lines from dwg files and displaying them.  Unfortunately, this can mean up to thousands of lines, and drawing them using the Visualizer just doesn't seem to cut it, as drawing these lines slows down the framerate.  I want to be able to draw with something that uses vertex buffers that caches the geometry and all I need to do is send it in a batch to the GPU.  However, with the Visualizer, I have to make calls one by one, which is slow.

From poking around, it seems that ObjectDynamic is the answer, as it has some line drawing methods.  However, everything I've tried just doesn't seem to work with it.  Could I get some help on how to use this class to draw lines?

Here's an example of what we're doing.  The text on the ground is all written with line primitives.  Yes, I know, not the most efficient way to draw text, but these lines just come from a dwg file, and we want to just draw whatever is in that dwg file.

post-1922-0-66899800-1455836996_thumb.jpg

Hi Joseph,

Just a small suggestion - probably it will be much more performance efficient if you can convert that parts of your *.dwg file to *.FBX or *,obj and then just import it into the engine. Static meshes rendering is more performance friendly :) Or if you can extract only text from the *.dwg you can use even use ObjectText object.

Thanks!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads: