Landscape & Landscape Plugin crashing constantly.

photo

I have been trying to create a new World within our current project using the newest SDK and am experiencing a LOT more crashes then with previous versions.

The first type of crash I am experiencing is with using the Landscape Plugin. Before I was even able to create my base terrain quads experienced a handful of crashes when trying to set up my landscape settings, The error is always the same: "SystemAllocator::allocate(): can't allocate ####### bytes" The same thing happens when trying to import layers into the terrain. It took about ~12 attempts before I was able to complete the entire process. I had to resort to saving after every single action and constantly reloading, a very unproductive process. (This error also happens when flying around the world sometimes but not nearly as often as when using the Landscape Plugin.

The second type of crash I am experiencing involves clicking on a terrain quad within the editor. More often then not clicking on a terrain quad will result in a crash and the following error: ""GLTerrain::render_indices_begin(): can't map indices buffer." Making it even harder to interact with the terrain then it was to create it.

These crashes are making it nearly impossible to create and interact with new terrains. Any advice on how to fix or prevent these would be greatly appreciated. or perhaps an ETA on a fix?

-Terrence

We made some progress on this front, we were running 32 bit mode previously but we just switched to 64 bit mode and it is now crashing much much less frequently when interacting with the terrain.

-Terrence

Hi Terrence,

We've added first issue about allocator crash in our internal bugtracker, but we still can't reproduce the second crash: "GLTerrain::render_indices_begin(): can't map indices buffer".

Could you please provide an additional information about this issue, such as:

• engine log after the crash;
  • typical use-case (for example, editing terrain for 8 hours straight and we always get crash OR importing large multi-layer psd texture with 16K resoliton can cause sometimes crashes).

Thank you!

Here is the log the from my latest crash. I had just finished importing a set of 7 detail texture masks using the landscape plugin and was flying over the scene to take a look at the results when I got a bad mipmap number error. Prior to this There had been several other landscape wide imports done before this as I tested out various mask sets.

The landscape is 61.44 km x 61.44 km, all masks are being imported at 4096. There are currently also 2 clutter nodes being populated alongside the detail textures, as well as infinite water.

post-1632-0-03247100-1446230227_thumb.png

post-1632-0-85677100-1446230233_thumb.png

project_log.htm

Hi Terrence,

Sorry, but we still can't reproduce this issue.

If it is possible - could you please upload somewhere your complete project? I understand that it can be problematic because of the large amount of data need to be packed and uploaded, but without stable reproduction on our side this issue will not be fixed, sorry.

For really large projects you can use our FTP server (up to 25GB):

It is better split your project into different parts (1-2GB each) to minimize upload errors.

Thank you!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads: