about LOD strategies in unigine

photo

I have a batch of static 3D model which format is .dae. They are composed by a group of LOD .dae, however, their LOD value is not by distance but on pixel mode. Their number up to 500 models.

So my question:

How could I import these models automatically (with the LOD value on pixel mode)?

This is my first time ask question on this forum, thanks for help.

Hi,

Please, check the main principles of LODs handling in this article

Regarding your main question, I'm afraid you will need to write some custom Editor plugin or script which will parse your models directory and create meshes with correctly set up visibility distance (from XML) using our basic Collada import plugin. Or you can modify the C++ part of this plugin if it will be easier way for you.

There are several ways of creating the LODs for your object (you can check the examples in data/samples/objects/lods_xx).

Thanks!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

Thank you very much. As you mentioned, I can only set the distance manually, I don't find any tools that can convert Lod value from pixl based to distance based.

About that, could you give me some advisement.

Hi,

I don't find any tools that can convert Lod value from pixl based to distance based.

I'm afraid you will need to develop them by yourself.

You can try to experiment with different distance switch values (1 unit is approx. 1 meter in the real world) and check the performance difference between them. I believe that there is no strict correspondence between pixel-based and distance-based LODs system and you will find the optimal distance values that fit your needs very soon.

Thanks!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

Hi,

I'm afraid you will need to develop them by yourself.

You can try to experiment with different distance switch values (1 unit is approx. 1 meter in the real world) and check the performance difference between them. I believe that there is no strict correspondence between pixel-based and distance-based LODs system and you will find the optimal distance values that fit your needs very soon.

Thanks!

Probably only difference is, that per pixel based system has advantage (it can be also disadvantage) in case you change rendering resolution.