Missing normal map Information with grabber

photo

I've noticed that when I generate impostor texture sheets with the grabber tool I discover that it is not adding the canopy elements of my tree mesh as it has done for the diffuse texture.  Does anyone know why the grabber tool would omit the canopy information for the normal map process?  Attached are sample of the grabber outputs.  A diffuse of  tree then it's corresponding normal map where only the trunk shows up on the normal map. I've included the normal map for a pacific silver fir that seems to be correct.

post-1689-0-90905700-1433180029_thumb.jpg

post-1689-0-95740200-1433180063_thumb.png

post-1689-0-24945100-1433180117_thumb.png

Hi,

The Grabber tool can omit leaves if they are created as billboards: the billboards' normal vectors are always pointed towards the camera, so, they won't be stored in the grabbed normal map.
As for pacific silver fir - its branches with fir needles are represented as surfaces of the mesh, so their normal vectors are pointed differenlty and can be successfully grabbed.

You can use the same approach for deciduous trees: represent branches with leaves as mesh surfaces.

• Like 1

The Grabber tool can omit leaves if they are created as billboards: the billboards' normal vectors are always pointed towards the camera, so, they won't be stored in the grabbed normal map.

As for pacific silver fir - its branches with fir needles are represented as surfaces of the mesh, so their normal vectors are pointed differenlty and can be successfully grabbed.

Do I understand well, in case I use billboard option in leaves shader, grabbing will be not proper?

Hi,

Well, not exactly. The result of grabbing will be proper: leaves won't be presented on the normal map as the normal map stores information about normals deviation. And, in case of billboard leaves, there is no normals deviation as they are pointed towards the camera.

• Like 1

Hi,

Well, not exactly. The result of grabbing will be proper: leaves won't be presented on the normal map as the normal map stores information about normals deviation. And, in case of billboard leaves, there is no normals deviation as they are pointed towards the camera.

I am trying to figure out, why my billboards are looking very flat, but billboards from SDK vegetation library are looking very well. I assume problem is in normal map.