The limit of active morph targets

photo

In the manual it says:

• Up to 7 active morph targets per surface with arbitrary weights available for any kind of animations. The overall number of morph targets is not limited.

But  7 target  is not enough for facial expression. When you can increase the number of active targets?

Thanks!

Hi,

Hi,

We are working on a roadmap for the rest of 2015 year. I believe we can provide you more information on this by the end of this week (or in a worst-case scenario - next week).

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Hope for that.  

Thank you.

What does 'active' mean?

Would you describe it a simultaneously 'active' each one with a weight influencing a single vertex (surface).

Or 7 possible targets in total for a single vertex (surface)?

So as to say, if I had a single mesh character and 39 different poses, would that be possible? Lets say to only blend one into another. (2 or 3 active)

cheers. werner

BTW. Is there a morph example?  :unsure:

Hey,

i am not sure how to handle morphing with skinning correctly so I was looking for an example.

I basically want to do realistic muscle and skin deformation for a skinned model. (animal)

This in particular means morph or displacement transformation combined with skinned skeletal animation, and as well physics like a ragdoll model.

So my question is, how I can create such deformations in a correct and useful way and play it in realtime.

How do I create morph poses, how do I export those 'targets', how do I blend them etc.

(Facial animation, blending several poses, is a more simple thing as a head does not have any skinning deformed animation itself (or a rigid deformation with a 100% weight of e.g. a head bone)).

I was wondering if someone had done this before, so I am looking for any experiences

a ) in content creation terms

b ) in technical realization in Unigine.

The sample which is provided does not speak a lot about those things and it also lacks information for 3dsmax, how to prepare the scene, name objects, which tools to use (skin, skinmorph, morper etc..)

Thank you.

Cheers. Werner.

• 1 month later...

I was wondering if someone had done this before, so I am looking for any experiences

We are using only bones for character customization (face morphing, body morphing...). It works works quite well, only thing we must solve is optimization.

http://www.esqgame.com/press/El_Somni_Quas/images/char.jpg

Currently our character has cca 150 bones (cca 60 are helper bones for body/face morphing) and for character driven by mocap animation you cant go much lower if you want to preserve quality, so we are trying to develop script, which will take character after morphing, save such mesh and remove helper bones, since overhead of having extra 60 bones is measurable if you have 50+ characters on the screen. Unigine has limit of 120 bones per surface, so for further optimization like merging into one surface and automatic texture atlas creation (after equipping clothes, boots, gloves...) this is prerequisite. Also it makes sense to remove bones like fingers for LODs. If you have only several characters on the screen, it does not matter much.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Demostenes,

can you describe your pipeline a bit?

How are you creating the morph targets (which tool, Maya Max etc..)?

How are you exporting /importing?

How are you controlling?

Would appreciate this a lot.

Cheers.

Werner

Hello Demostenes,

can you describe your pipeline a bit?

How are you creating the morph targets (which tool, Maya Max etc..)?

How are you exporting /importing?

How are you controlling?

Would appreciate this a lot.

Cheers.

Werner

We are not using morph targets, but special "morphing" bones. Something like:

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/S8xwec1Pj9k/maxresdefault.jpg

Script is then adjusting position of these morphing/helper bones. It was giving more sense in our use case, because we need to control 50+ parametres. On the other side if you need to morph sphere into box, there is probably no other way than using morph targets.

I see. Wow, thats a pretty wicked bone setup. But I understand, nice solution anyway, reminds me on the good old Unreal Characters.

We want to use morphings (Blendshapes) for correcting wrong skinning. So have to invertigate that possibility. Would be possible, but the limitation is a bit nasty in that case.

We will see. Are not at a specific point where I say this doesnt work.

I still need to leran more about possibilities.

Very cool would be a kind of a Vector displacement via textures. (but the production of such maps is as well not that trivial) ...

PS: your URL in the previus post , my firewall blocks.  :unsure:

Cheers.

Werner

With the current implementation of blend shapes it is problematic to change the limit.

Moreover some artists require different blending logic, so it seems that this feature need to be reworked.

Frankly speaking it is not the top priority right now (in comparison with larger visual features to improve), so I would not expect this being changed before the new year.

Right.

In our case, we hope to get away with this limits, as we are using it on animations rather on procedural movements (systems).

Are in the tests right now, and seems to work so far.

I will get you updates on progress.

Best.

werner

• 3 months later...