Terrain Import using Textures

photo

Hi, we are trying to figure out how to import Terrain into Unigine, since Unigine itself does not support terrain editing (which causes a lot of frustration here).

Anyway, we managed to generate diffuse textures 4096x4096 and heightmap textures 513x513 or 1025x1025.

Now heightmaps are RGB24 and Unigine does not want to open them as heightmaps. In what format I have to specify heightmaps?

If it is only 8 bit per height - isn't it not enough for a heightmap? Surely the terrain in Unigine uses quite high precision.

So what format do we import? Thanks!

Ok, just found the place in the docs that says it is 16-bit. And should be 1 channel, I guess.

Anyway, managed to get heighmap in the *.raw format (16 bit), then open it in the photoshop and then save as psd which can be opened by Unigine.

Quite a long way, but it works. :)

Unigine itself does not support terrain editing (which causes a lot of frustration here).

Please read the documentation on UNIGINE terrain and build-in terrain editing

post-82-0-19317300-1297070865_thumb.jpg

Please read the documentation on UNIGINE terrain and build-in terrain editing

post-82-0-19317300-1297070865_thumb.jpg

I'm sorry, I have probably missed something, but could not find how do I texture my terrain. I can do heights and smoothing, but what about painting with textures?

There is a diffuse brush, which supposedly does vertex coloring?

But I can't make it working:

1. Created terrain, calculated normal map, created light, so terrain is now white.

2. goto terrain editor, select diffuse, circle, normal, greenradius 25, power 1, opacity 0.5, green color.

3. Hold Alt and paint - nothing happens.

:)

Anyway, what third party tools for terrain creation and importing into Unigine people use here?

Figured out why I had confusion when painting colors. The color occasionally worked - ONLY when a diffuse texture was assigned to a surface.

Nice to have a warning in such cases or automatic diffuse texture assignment?

The masks which allow you to paint materials/textures over the surfaces only work when there is a mask assigned to a surface as well. But when you import a mask - it does not

assign mask pieces to the surfaces - you have to do it manually! Just understood why - because it was empty! How am I supposed to guess this?

People really need a tutorial not on how to import a nicely prepared terrain, but how to make one from scratch!

Ok, just found the place in the docs that says it is 16-bit. And should be 1 channel, I guess.

Have a look at Principles of Operation -> Terrain -> Terrain Dimensions and Texture Formats in documentation

Anyway, what third party tools for terrain creation and importing into Unigine people use here?

There was some discussion here.

Figured out why I had confusion when painting colors. The color occasionally worked - ONLY when a diffuse texture was assigned to a surface.

Nice to have a warning in such cases or automatic diffuse texture assignment?

But when you import a mask - it does not assign mask pieces to the surfaces - you have to do it manually!

That's odd, they should be created automatically if none. We'll see if it is a bug. When importing (Import mask option), the mask is split automatically.