[SOLVED] Import existing landscape

photo

Hi Andrey

Lets say a supplier delivers us an improved version of a certain area, landscape, models, etc. But we already have this area in a wider landscape. We would now import the improved into the existing one...

For example: the Washington landscape from last year includes as well the Port Angeles area. If we would like to exchange the existing area in Washington with the one from Port Angeles.

Is this understandable? =)

Renato

Hey Renato, glad you're asking such cool questions!

The whole "merge process", let's call it that, is critically depend on data your supplier provided to you. If we're talking about engine friendly format (prepared heightmap, diffuse/specular/normals tiles & materials, terrain node file, custom content in .mesh format, etc.) then it might be a hell of a job to merge it or change parts. I'm not saying it's impossible as in some cases you can just delete old "terrain cells" and replace them with new ones; in other cases it's possible to add new data just as another terrain, that's it.

But better way is to use raw data to prepare & merge it in external terrain editors such as WorldMachine. After that you'll have to export merged data to engine friendly format and use our Landscape plugin to recreate whole landscape in the engine. That'd be the way if you want to merge Port Angeles and Washington.

We though about developing such terrain toolset (geotiff, raw terrain data, area of interest with detailed data support, etc.) built into the engine but that'd take at least a year in development.

Hi Andrey

I hoped for a merging tool =), but I see there would be an imense amound of development.

I see the approach to merge the heightmap and create updated diffuse/specular/normal maps in WorldMachine. I think the same count for the land use data (such as coasts, forest, streets,...)?

Would you provide the raw data of washington and port angeles for testing such an approach?

Thanks a lot,

Renato